Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is a "We are interested in your area" leaflet a good idea?

(21 Posts)
BakewellTart01 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:34:45

Just wanted to get an opinion on whether it is a good idea to drop a letter through the door of houses we would be interested in buying?

We live in a wonderful area and we want to remain in the same development. However a number of the larger houses are not coming up for sale. I wasn't sure if this approach was a little cheeky, or it might hit on someone who is considering selling?

ButtMuncher Wed 01-Nov-17 13:35:53

Frankly, no. I wouldn't give it a second thought just because someone in the area was looking at buying. We get these from local estate agencies and they go straight in the bin.

gallicgirl Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:19

Given that estate agents do it regularly around my area, I don't see it as a problem.

If they are not interested, it goes in recycling. If the house is about to be sold, you might get a heads-up. I can't see the harm in it.

Watto1 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:36

The worst they could do is chuck it straight in the bin! No harm in trying. I'd be quite flattered in I got a note through my door like that.

ThomasRichard Wed 01-Nov-17 13:38:54

I did this recently and got several responses from people who hadn’t put their houses on the market yet so yes, I’d say it was worth doing.

BakewellTart01 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:50:39

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback.

I am all for doing it, but my DH was a bit hesitant. Wonderful to hear you got responses ThomasRichard.

I put a letter together and see what comes from it!

whiskyowl Wed 01-Nov-17 13:51:26

I think so. I've never done it, but I know a number of people whose actively wanted to avoid costs by purchasing directly. Setting a property up for marketing can be a lot of work, knowing a buyer is ready and waiting can be psychologically very encouraging.

KatnissMellark Wed 01-Nov-17 13:52:48

I think it's fine. I quite want to move and if I knew someone was keen for my house I might actually do something about it.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 01-Nov-17 13:56:58

Make sure it's obvious that it's not from an estate agent! They annoy me, but for some reason something from a genuine buyer wouldn't 🤷🏼‍♀️

BelfastSmile Wed 01-Nov-17 13:58:06

My friend's parents did this, and found a house! They didn't do a flyer as such; just a handwritten letter.

BakewellTart01 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:57:55

Thanks, I am thinking of handwriting. WE live in the area, would it help to mention this?

Just simply say, we live in the area, we require a bigger house, if you are considering selling please give me a call?

fempsych Wed 01-Nov-17 16:02:17

We did this and over a few months and two emails from only half a road - we had a very specific area!

BakewellTart01 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:21:48

Thank you all so much for the advice. Update is we have a house to go view tomorrow! It all happened very quickly smile

another20 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:45:04

Wow that's amazing - is that as a result of your leaflet drop?
How will the price be decided? Do you have to put your on the open market - will you agree a timescale for you to sell and for them to find and buy somewhere?

BakewellTart01 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:02:10

Hi, yes as a result of the note. My heart was in my mouth when they called me. Their next door neighbour sold approx 7 months ago and they are aiming for that price. Although they have said they would like an agent to come round and value.

Our home went on the market on Thursday and we have viewings this weekend and next week.

It's all a bit up in the air. But we have interest and to be honest, the house would have to be a total wreck for me not to consider

jenks81 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:15:51

Good luck OP, this is how we got our current house so it's definitely worth doing.

another20 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:36:07

Good for you -- keep us updated - exciting..!

BakewellTart01 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:17:04

Well we absolutely loved the house. We had a young couple come see ours and it was quite positive.

We spoke to the vendors and they are asking for a price which is within our budget so it is good timing. They are actually mid decoration as they were getting the house ready for sale.

We have called them since and asked if we offer them the asking will it stay off the market for us. Just waiting for them to get back to us.

My husband is thrilled. He was a bit wary of doing the hand written notes, but we not believe this could work.

Bunnychopz Sat 04-Nov-17 14:24:34

I know a few people who have sold and bought this way. Including me

Humptynumpty02 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:28:10

We brought our house this way, leaflet dropped specific houses we were interested in and ended up in our dream home.

Alittlepotofrosie Sat 04-Nov-17 14:29:59

That's exciting well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now