Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to have serious doubts mid renovation/redecoration?

(11 Posts)
Damocat Tue 31-Oct-17 14:34:35

I just don’t think it’s going to ‘work’ together once finished.

Doubts started when I realised I had forgotten to plan in chopping boards to the kitchen design blush. This is actually no biggie as I have half a cupboard free and a spare drawer too but up until that point I was super excited.

Now I’m worried the light fittings won’t look right. And one is off centre (we hadn’t noticed this previously so the electrician just rewired where the existing lights were in that room)

The tiles are the wrong shade.

The paint is too dark

I don’t think it is going to go together.

Aargh.

Baxdream Tue 31-Oct-17 14:45:46

I nearly told them to get rid of the snug yesterday as I panicked the kitchen is too small, which is ridiculous as it’s about 10 metres by 3 metres.

I totally get this!!

Damocat Tue 31-Oct-17 15:08:26

Glad I’m not the only one grin

Worried we are living on a building site and spending thousands for it to look shit once done!

randomthoughts Tue 31-Oct-17 15:16:47

One of my new plug sockets is misaligned, what on earth was I thinking starting this!!!
Oh and how will my worktop be supported over my dishwasher?

bunerison Tue 31-Oct-17 15:23:07

I feel your pain especially when our builder uncovered problem after problem and our budget went out the window. I ended up crying hysterically to my dad in a way I haven't done since I was about 10. Currently coming to terms with a great big pillar in the middle of the open plan area but kid of stick as it's holding the house up

whiskyowl Tue 31-Oct-17 15:24:27

random - you can get legs that support a worktop over an appliance. By a good manufacturer, they look a lot less bad than they sound! Sometimes you don't need additional support, however.

I keep telling myself it's natural to worry, but I'd be lying if I said I had any fingernails left. wink

randomthoughts Tue 31-Oct-17 18:00:17

Thanks whisky, don't think there's any space for legs as it's next to the integrated fridge freezer. Hopefully some brackets will fit somewhere....

NamedyChangedy Tue 31-Oct-17 22:11:02

I'm struggling with this as well. Every decision I've made has caused sleepless nights. Luckily my builder is quite opinionated and seems to have good taste so I've started getting him to choose for me!

Archipops Tue 31-Oct-17 23:57:29

tiles of wrong shade and paint being too dark normally sort themselves out visually once the kitchen cabinets and furniture are in. I’ve had clients panic after the walls were painted and carpet fitted in, then when furnitures comes in they say it all actually looks good now

MiaowTheCat Wed 01-Nov-17 07:46:03

I think it's a universal law of even just decorating in terms of paint or wallpaper that you commit to doing the first wall and then stand there trying to convince yourself you like it or that it'll dry lighter/darker and 99% of the time that works out absolutely fine doesn't it?

Hated the room I'm in now when we were halfway through painting it and it looked purple going on the walls - now it's a lovely soft warm grey (yes I know - another violation of mine against the MN style police) and I love it.

I lay awake at night panicking about how the kitchen was going to work together when we were having that done - it's fine now.

Damocat Wed 01-Nov-17 21:48:20

Phew all perfectly normal then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now