Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which mattress would you recommend?

(24 Posts)
BlueA4Paper Mon 30-Oct-17 20:53:14

My mattress is about 20yrs old and so I clearly really really need a new one. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm willing to spend enough to get a good one that will last and stand up to family life (dc tend to join me in bed quite frequently).
I've been waking up with terrible back pain recently.

Would anyone recommend their mattress?

Bella8 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:03:33

Hi, I have. Sealy mattress with a. Built in topper and I absolutely adore it. I got it from benson for beds and they have levels 1 to 5 of firmness ratings and you can try them all out in the shop. I have firmness level 3 and love it

Bella8 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:03:43

I have a *

Chickencellar Mon 30-Oct-17 21:25:44

John Ryan , don't have one but one of these will be my next mattress. Heard good things about them. Website is very detailed , they seem to be mattress geeks. I think you can give them a ring and they will help find the right type for you.

Haha that sounds like I work for them !

ZaraW Mon 30-Oct-17 21:37:35

I bought the same mattresses the Premier Inn use as they are so comfortable and v. reasonably priced.

ImpyDimpy Mon 30-Oct-17 21:40:39

Tempur. I have a debilitating degenerative spinal disease & my Tempur Celebrity helps massively. I even take my pillows with me when I have to sleep elsewhere. They say you may experience some warmth with these- I don't get hot at all, in fact I have to use 2 hot water bottles overnight.

wonkylegs Mon 30-Oct-17 21:58:36

You really have to go and try them out as different ones really work for different people. Lie on the mattress and lie there for long enough to relax and settle and lie in the position(s) you sleep in. I lay for a good 10mins, yes you feel a bit ridiculous but it's important when you think how much time you spend in bed.

Natural fibres are better if one of you gets hot at night, firm/medium/soft work for different sized people as well as the position you sleep in.

We've just bought a firm pocket sprung but with large layer of natural fibre padding (Harrison) so it wasn't as firm as some medium mattresses but is very deep (bugger I'll have to buy new sheets too!) it works for petite front sleeper me and my much larger back sleeping DH.

We have a pocket sprung mattress with memory foam layer in the spare room which is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in but when we bought the same mattress but in king size for our bed it wasn't as good.

Which? Did a mattress buying guide as well as reviewing some makes which might help you decide http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mattresses/article/choosing-the-best-type-of-mattress

SilverSpot Mon 30-Oct-17 22:01:27

I Like my simba. If you don’t like it you can get rid under their 100 day guarantee.

I don’t think you can tell if you like a mattress until about 2 weeks anyway

BlueA4Paper Tue 31-Oct-17 06:41:19

Thank you all - I know I need to try them myself, just wanted some direction for where to start! grin

Mjs0510 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:50:29

We love our Firm John Lewis Natural Collection mattress. It's coming up for 5 years old and still as good as they day we bought it

Orangebird69 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:52:37

You really need to try some. Are you a side sleeper? Front? Back? It all makes so much difference. I've discovered that I need a soft mattress although cosleeping put a stop to that and my back is killing me. Spend the most you can afford. It's a worthy investment.

stormnigel Tue 31-Oct-17 10:35:36

Tempur here too...I’ve suffered with a bad back since i was 22, and I also have arthritis...I’ve had no pain on waking up for the first time in years since I go my this mattress.

Needmoresleep Tue 31-Oct-17 10:37:00

Hypnos - as in Premier Inn "Buy the bed"

allwornout0 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:56:12

I've just ordered a Hypnos one, similar to the Premier Inn one.
Went to their factory shop in Bucks and was about to order one there as they said you get 20% off the list price but decided to go home and think about it.
Good job I did as I looked online for the one I wanted and could get the same divan base and mattress in a whole list of other places for about £500 less then the factory shop.

Tatlerer Tue 31-Oct-17 14:14:40

I’m going for one of these new fangled mattresses in boxes, as they all come with a no-quibble 100 night money back guarantee. I tried the Simba in John Lewis and it was great, but will probably go for the Caspar as it’s got handles I believe, and as it’s a superking I’m going for these will be useful for rotating (it doesn’t need turning).

BubblesBuddy Tue 31-Oct-17 17:39:56

I too would look at Hypnos. We have a fantastic mattress from them. Shop around for prices but their use of natural fibres is important to me.

BlueA4Paper Tue 31-Oct-17 18:27:30

orangebird co-sleeping with youngest (and usually eventually all) dc + old matteress is slaying me. Do you think you need to go firmer if there's more bodies in the bed then?

I'm a side sleeper when I get any sleep...

GrumpyOldBag Tue 31-Oct-17 18:36:49

I'm also interested in a mattress in a box, and have been looking at the Simba, Caspar & Emma.

Annoyingly though our bed is a non-standard size and if we get one there'd be a bit of a gap at the sides so i'm not sure it's worth it.

Interested in hearing from people who've got them though as to how comfy they are.

Evewasinnocent Tue 31-Oct-17 19:55:46

I have the Hypnos one - and love it!

SilverSpot Tue 31-Oct-17 20:00:29

@GrumpyOldBag Simba do EU sizing and I think some of the others do to - should fit your funny bed?

GrumpyOldBag Tue 31-Oct-17 20:04:55

Unfortunately EU sizing doesn't fit - our bed is 5'6" x 6'6" - halfway between a King & a Super King (made to order about 18 years ago).

SwedishEdith Tue 31-Oct-17 21:30:38

I get a bad back. We got our mattress from John Lewis and I was all ready to go for a firm one - assumed that's what I'd need. JL's advice was that firmness was more relevant to your weight and not necessarily good for back pain. Just a tip, if it helps.

Orangebird69 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:05:06

BlueA4, I'm a side sleeper and a soft mattress suits me but obviously I had to go firm when I had ds. He's 2.1yo now and I cannot wait to dump this mattress when I move in a few months!

SilverSpot Tue 31-Oct-17 22:45:25

@GrumpyOldBag that is only a gap of c.3cm on either side from a 160cm EU king? Not too bad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now