Advanced search

Council house and gas meter

(5 Posts)
Maplestaple Mon 30-Oct-17 11:41:42

I live in a council house and my gas meter is in the kitchen. The cupboard it's in opens and then it's right in the far. So to get a reading I have to send my dd2 in as she's the only one who can crawl on and look.

Do you think the council would perhaps change the front of the cupboard to 2 doors so I wouldn't have to go to much trouble to read the meter. Is there any sort of rule to say it must be accessible.

I'm more than happy to save up and do the work myself but just want to know the likely hood of them actually letting me.

cinderfrickingrella Mon 30-Oct-17 11:50:13

I think it’s unlikely they will help.

Mine is in an awkward place, I put my arm in as far as I can and take a photo on my phone smile

SnowBallsAreHere Mon 30-Oct-17 11:53:09

I don’t think they would do it for you, but probably wouldn’t care if you did it yourself.
With one door there already it would be a very small job for a handyman to cut it in half and add another set of hinges. If you had tools and confidence to diy you could do it yourself. Or ask for 2 bits of mdf to be cut to size for you at b&q.
Until then, a selfie stick comes in very useful for hard to reach meters wink

PigletJohn Mon 30-Oct-17 13:37:27

show us some photos please

hiddley Mon 30-Oct-17 13:51:31

This was my FB status 1 week ago.

Warning: Contains offensive language

"My gas meter has to be in the most arse-bastarding cunt of a place ever. I've to fold myself in two and get into the press under the sink (where I am fully sure spiders lurk) to access the cunting bastarding bad bastard of a thing. I hate it with a vengeance."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: