Talk

Advanced search

Anyone moved an electric fuse box?

(11 Posts)
Mummyinoz Mon 30-Oct-17 08:42:26

Looking at a house and don’t like the location so would need to move form front to back of house. Is this possible and would it be very expensive?

Thanks

johnd2 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:43:21

Do you need to move the meter as well or just the fuse box? Meter as well could double the cost easily.

MillStone Mon 30-Oct-17 10:02:34

I'm moving my meter and fuse box this week. It requires 3 separate companies - grid, energy provider, electrician. The cost is £700 there abouts.

wowfudge Mon 30-Oct-17 10:12:43

Could be a very expensive exercise - where is it that you don't like?

SilverSpot Mon 30-Oct-17 10:30:10

My friend had it done and cost nearly £1k (you have to have an electrician, your utility company and UK Power involved.)

Lesley1980 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:00:08

Is it just the fuse box? Ours was moved easily from a cupboard next to the front door to the cupboard under the stairs. Our electricians did it with no issues.

We were going to move the electricity meter & that was thousands because it involved digging up the road so we didn't bother.

Lesley1980 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:00:57

Ours was moved for a few hundred- £400?? It was 5 years ago. The fuse box was renewed as well

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:48:57

Only to reiterate that we were quoted just over £1k to move ours - it's in the under-the-stairs cupboard which i wanted to convert to storage drawers. Only meant moving it 6ft but that was the cost (we didn't do it). I think that in moving it, your electrician would need to certify that it meets all the current electrical legislation which depending on how old the house is, there may be an additional cost for updating the electrics (as well as moving it all).

FlooOOOooomplet Mon 30-Oct-17 13:07:05

Watching with interest as we need to move the meter to make way for an extension.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 30-Oct-17 13:24:05

We had our guide box moved earlier this year. Our electrician did it (and replaced the fuse box) for about £450. And that was Saturday rates.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 30-Oct-17 13:24:33

Fuse not Guide

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now