Talk

Advanced search

Electrical advice? Take 2

(6 Posts)
Mehfruittea Sun 29-Oct-17 12:10:17

Hi all I posted this in Chat but thought I might get some help here?

I have an electric wheelchair with a charger that plugs in to any normal domestic plug socket. I want to charge my chair while it is in the boot of my car, so that I dont have to get it out specifically to charge it.

In my boot is a 12v power supply. I have bought a converter. Is it the wrong one?!

It has a 12v plug thing at one end and fits in, then the other is normal power sockets and some USBs. It a 300w power invertor. hmm Output AC220v. I want it to charge the chair as I drive, so it should just be top up charges. But it just doesn’t work at all!

Any help appreciated. grin

johnd2 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:17:43

Should work. Try plugging something else ineg a lamp and see what happens.
If it doesn't work, it's the 12 to 220 converter, or the cigarette lighter socket.
Then try the socket with a phone charger or whatever you have, see if that works. If not it's the car, maybe fuse blown or there is another switch need to turn on

PigletJohn Sun 29-Oct-17 18:35:57

the charger might say how many amps it draws from a 230v supply. If it is more than about 1 amp it won't work on your converter.

It's also possible that your charger needs a smoother supply than the converter can provide.

See if the maker of your chair has a charger that can run off a car battery. IIRC they usually have two heavy batteries, so they might be 24v.

I have a friend who has such a converter in his boat, he charges his phones and satnav off it, nothing bigger.

Mehfruittea Sun 29-Oct-17 18:36:24

Thanks, will try all that!

PigletJohn Sun 29-Oct-17 18:46:44

update

I just had a lok, and there is a thing called a "24v in-car charger"
i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ciIAAOSwal5YJze9/s-l1600.jpg
which if I've read it right, plugs into a car fag-lighter socket, and has a plug that goes into the charging socket on the wheelchair.

the one I looked at is about £20 but I know nothing about its suitability so I won't try to recommend it.

But it looks as if the wheelchair trade has such things.

PigletJohn Sun 29-Oct-17 18:55:34

something like this (I got the price wrong) but you need a trusted supplier, and to check the charging voltage of your chair, and to verify it has the same kind of plug and socket. Your chair supplier or manufacturer should know, but might charge a premium price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now