Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this wallpaper old fashioned?

(46 Posts)
TheBeigeHouse Sun 29-Oct-17 10:02:14

I like it but I am not sure what it will look like on a whole wall.
Is it old fashioned?
(Ignore the patches of green paint, we have already decided against green)

Mosaic123 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:12:00

I think it's pretty and not old fashioned but maybe would be too much on every wall in a room. With modern furniture it would be lovely.

Santawontbelong Sun 29-Oct-17 10:12:39

Love it!!

GingerIvy Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:40

I like it. As long as you like it, though, who cares if it is or is not old-fashioned?

EdgarAllanPO Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:42

No it's not old fashioned it's lovely. I'm into twee in some rooms. What room is it going in?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 29-Oct-17 10:17:01

I think 'feature walls' are old fashioned full stop TBH.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Oct-17 10:17:52

What room? I'd see that as girl's bedroom paper, tbh.

Ttbb Sun 29-Oct-17 10:18:35

Definitely not old fashioned.

TheBeigeHouse Sun 29-Oct-17 10:40:59

It's for our living room, just one wall.
We have this monstrosity of a fireplace, I am hoping that the wallpaper might distract attention from it a bit.
I generally like plain and light and unfussy but I am a bit worried that we will end up with a completely beige house so I am trying to add a little bit of colour.

fucksakefay Sun 29-Oct-17 10:42:29

I love it
It will look lovely with your fireplace
I'd open that fireplace up and see what's behind it

carb0nated Sun 29-Oct-17 10:42:56

Personally I think it's awful. Those owls !

cece Sun 29-Oct-17 10:43:23

I am not keen. I think it is a bit old fashioned but if you love it then go for it! You will be the ones looking at it everyday. Some people probably wouldn't like the wallpaper on my feature wall!

Idrinkandiknowstuff Sun 29-Oct-17 10:44:22

Love it

notacooldad Sun 29-Oct-17 10:48:22

Whether it's old fashioned or not is irrelevant.
The point is, do you like it? It's your taste and stamp that make a house your home.
I do agree with you about your fireplace being a monstrosity, are you not able to update that?

TheBeigeHouse Sun 29-Oct-17 10:53:27

I have spent hours looking at brick fireplaces on Pinterest and I still have no idea what to do with it.
We are going to remove the electric fire and paint the wood a lighter colour but I think we are stuck with the brick and the red tiles

Hoppinggreen Sun 29-Oct-17 10:55:20

Not my cuppa but if you like it go for it - not one wall though that's a bit dated now

rwalker Sun 29-Oct-17 11:07:21

each to there own think its the owls find a similar one no owls .get rid of electric fire if there an opening put a cheap grate in and lay it like a log fire, tile over the red tiles with plain black ones £30 tops

Chewbecca Sun 29-Oct-17 11:08:55

I quite like the twiggy bits but not at all sure about the owls.

Bluntness100 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:17:42

Well you shouldn’t decorate your house to be fashionable, but you should do it how you like it.

Personally I’d deal with the 70s fireplace, I think the wall paper is too delicate beside it and it really is awful.

I’d remove rhe wood and then plaster over the brick, it will be cheap as chips to get it done, and put a proper mantlepiece in, then change the fire. Something like this plain one. Then your wallpaper might work better.

Bluntness100 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:28:16

Here’s a similar one without the owls. I think the owls make it look bedroomish.

www.littlegreene.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Sakura+

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 29-Oct-17 11:29:58

I would paint the bricks in the fireplace a pale, neutral colour to soften the look. The wallpaper is ok, but I think the detail will be too fine on a large wall. I would go with something bolder.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Oct-17 11:34:32

Yes, I agree. Don't try to tone in with the fireplace; address the fireplace! The one Bluntness linked to is a whole world of difference away from yours, with probably very little cost.

TheBeigeHouse Sun 29-Oct-17 11:49:55

Thanks for the advice, I will go back to looking at alternative options for the fireplace. The first thing is to remove the electric fire so I know what is behind there!

glovesonstrings Sun 29-Oct-17 11:56:43

I like the wallpaper. If you painted the fireplace, bricks and wood white, it would look good.

ggirl Sun 29-Oct-17 11:57:26

not my cup of tea , there isn't much colour in it if that's what you want to add

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now