Talk

Advanced search

Dehumidifiers.....

(7 Posts)
another20 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:17:00

Just saw this thread in AIBU and thought would bring it to this topic for maybe a more informed opinion.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3071750-To-ask-about-dehumidifiers

Anyone got one - can recommend one - pros/cons? We have a large single level house - so wondered if we should consider having 2?

HooraySunshine Sat 28-Oct-17 11:33:56

I've had two (30L) dehumidifiers for a few years now. (one upstairs, one downstairs) They are great for putting near washing you have to hang indoors, also great for a house with mould problems or for keeping condensation off windows, etc.

Two downsides are they can produce quite a bit of heat if in a small, closed room (such as a bedroom). Not a problem in the winter, but in the summer it can get rather hot. Also, DH complains about the 'humming' noise being too loud. I don't find it a problem and at night going to sleep I find it quite soothing as it's a constant 'hummm' type noise (buy maybe not everyone would like that?).

I can't recommend dehumidifiers enough. They are expensive, but I think well worth the money.

another20 Sat 28-Oct-17 12:22:46

What brand do you have Hooray?

johnd2 Sat 28-Oct-17 13:20:04

We have one for the bathroom after showers, but we are fitting a ventilation system which warms the incoming air as it will be cheaper to run and can be left on 24 hours a day. It also keeps fresh dry air coming into the house even on a cold damp day.
The great thing about dehumidifiers is you just unpack and plug in, and you can move them around to dry washing or whatever you like.
The fan system is only with it if you own the house and will live there a long time.

HooraySunshine Sat 28-Oct-17 13:49:42

Mine are both De'Longhi. I've been really happy with them.

BumWad Sat 28-Oct-17 15:10:42

I have an Ebac one.

It’s brilliant I would highly recommend them. Keeps the house warmer too.

Qwebec Sun 29-Oct-17 01:37:43

I have a 70L one. The drier air definitly feels warmer than damp. Our exhudes cold air. The humming is unbearable to me (DP does not mind) so it is on when I leave for work and at the other end of the floor at night. It keeps the whole floor comfortable if the doors of the rooms are all open are open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now