Talk

Advanced search

Complete renovation of 3 bed semi - can anyone share details of costs etc?

(6 Posts)
Mummyinoz Sat 28-Oct-17 09:20:21

Looking at a standard three bed semi (one bathroom, living room, dining room, small separate kitchen) that needs complete renovation- hadn’t been touched since the 50s kind.

Would need to do the full works and then would like to add extension to back to create master bedroom and en suite upstairs plus large open plan kitchen / dining / living space with bi fold doors at back. Would need to rebuild garage and add porch also.

Anyone done similar and could share costs please? I know how long is a piece of string but a rough average would help me immensely. Any inspiration or pitfalls to avoid also greatly appreciated.

We’re based in SE.

Thanks!

superram Sat 28-Oct-17 09:24:49

We turned a 3 bed Edwardian semi, completely gutted, new heating, replastering, some new windows, big extension that needed a steel frame to avoid pillars. We also did the loft so maybe take off a 1/4 of price. In London £180,000.

BubbleFrog Sat 28-Oct-17 10:03:14

We are about to do the same. Full rewire, replumb, new boiler. new bathroom, gutted, replastered and some ceilings replaced, single story rear 5/6m extension and new kitchen. We have been quoted 70-80k by a reputable firm.

whiskyowl Sat 28-Oct-17 10:14:31

I would be amazed if you could get all that done and completely finished for 80k bubble - I can see first fix (a shell extension) to that price, but second including kitchen would be absolutely bargainous! Mind you, Mumsnetters do have a way of getting good stuff cheap.

I would think you're looking at £100k+ for that amount of work, OP. The thing about kitchens and extensions is that the sky is the limit with price really - very much depends on the level of finish you choose. The difference in feel you get from slightly higher end floor finishes, glazing, lighting is huge - but it all adds up!

Lucisky Sat 28-Oct-17 11:20:55

We turned our 3 bed semi (sounds it was similar size to yours) into a 4 bed by adding a 2 storey side extension, which also gave us a large kitchen and utility, master with en suite upstairs, and integral garage. We also had the house refurbished with new windows, doors and boiler and redecorated/new flooring throughout, and second/family bathroom totally re-done. We didn't have much change from 140k. We are in the west country. We went for practical finishes that would last, it is certainly not high end as we couldn't afford that. Hope this helps. (It's like a brand new house now though!)

Mummyinoz Sat 28-Oct-17 12:08:28

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. Just need to try to secure the house now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now