Talk

Advanced search

Wooden vs Carpeted Stairs

(6 Posts)
HolyMerlot Fri 27-Oct-17 22:41:14

Currently have carpeted stairs but for some reason have always loved the look of wood and white stairs (picture attached). Obviously these stairs are going to be slippery compared to carpet but I was just wondering if any MNers out there have wooden stairs and if they love/hate them and why, advantages/disadvantages etc smile TIA

Bluebellwoods123 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:52:02

I have had wooden stairs and they were slippy but the stairs I fell down were my parents carpeted stairs, the carpet pile went in the wrong direction. Wooden stairs are easy to clean but I was very strict about no shoes so they didn't get scratched. I prefer carpeted stairs but I think it depends on what is at the bottom of your stairs, an open space is much safer than a wall if you fall.

NecrotisingDisaster Fri 27-Oct-17 22:55:33

Wooden stairs but with a runner. I love the look of wood but I have had a few wipe out so compromised on a runner.

RarelyInfallible Sat 28-Oct-17 03:45:37

We have wooden (laminate, actually) floors and stairs, apart from the bottom few. Never had any slips (touch wood) although I reminded everyone constantly at first not to run with just socks.

BradleyPooper Sat 28-Oct-17 03:56:19

We have two staircases, one wood and white at the front of the house and one carpeted at the back of the house. No-one ever uses the wooden stairs as they are slippery without shoes and noisy / get scratched with shoes.....

pallisers Sat 28-Oct-17 04:16:56

We renovated our house recently and left the stairs uncarpeted. I love the look. We didn't do white on the risers as you show in the photo but left stained wood for the entire stairs (dark stain).

I hold the banisters going down I must confess but nobody else does and no one has slipped or had any near misses. But no one wears just socks in our house.

On our old stairs (with carpet) the dog once slid down and landed under the hall rug- like slid under the rug. That was a great day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now