Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are marble fireplaces old hat?

(9 Posts)
FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Thu 26-Oct-17 09:23:42

This is such a first world problem, and it's not very exciting, so apologies in advance.

We are half way through an extension/refurbishment and having to make decisions quickly is giving me a headache. Our house is late 1950s/early 1960s, but we are giving it an uncluttered contemporary but classic look (well that's the aim!).

I'm stuck on what to get as a new fireplace. We want a woodburner effect gas fire (Chesneys do a couple of very realistic ones) and a clean-lined classic but contemporary fire surround. There are plenty to choose from, but most appear to be made of limestone, which are a sandy/beige colour and quite coarse to touch. We would prefer something which is white/grey in colour and smoother. Plaster surrounds seem to have had their day, but what about marble?

Is anyone putting marble fire surrounds in their houses nowadays? Would a marble fireplace look naff in a 1950/60s house?

Tobuyornot99 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:32:18

I live in a house if the same era, moved in to a marble effect fire place, I hate it.

I think it looks wanna be ostentatious, and completely out of sorts with a 60s house. Sorry!

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 09:33:59

Why don't you go fir the wooden plank above cavity look?

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Thu 26-Oct-17 09:39:22

No problem Tobuyornot - that's why I was asking.

Ttbb - I like that look, but DH doesn't.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Thu 26-Oct-17 09:40:31

Was thinking of something like this.

whiskyowl Thu 26-Oct-17 09:41:58

I think it's a matter of design. The phrase "marble fireplace" conjures up visions of awful Hyacinth Bucket pomposity with swags, swirls, columns and pediments. But marble can be a lovely material when used more simply - I think if you went for something absolutely modernist with no detail at all, it could be stunning.

Just to note: you don't have to have a fireplace around a logburner - you can board the recess with fire-resistant board and paint it any colour you like. You do need a hearth, however.

whiskyowl Thu 26-Oct-17 09:43:26

Ooops, apologies, just realised you're having a gas fire, not a logburner. I don't know how I misread your post so badly, apologies! Ignore my second paragraph entirely!

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Thu 26-Oct-17 09:56:36

Thanks Whiskyowl. No swags etc to be involved at all. Something very simple will do the job.

I quite like the idea of a hole in the wall with a hearth and oak mantel, but DH has other ideas. However, initially he hated the idea of a fire that looked like a woodburner. It would certainly be a lot cheaper.

whiskyowl Thu 26-Oct-17 10:02:41

I'm not always keen on those oak mantels either - in the right house, they're great, but in a 50s suburban semi they look a bit out of keeping.

Pinterest has some really nice, absolutely simple examples of marble fireplaces that are literally just slabs of polished stone with a cut-out for a fire. The simpler the better for me, but I have much more modernist tastes than many on here!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now