Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Harrogate and villages within 10 Miles

(20 Posts)
Lunenburg Wed 25-Oct-17 21:14:33

Looking to move to Harrogate as an extended family and would really appreciate advice about the best areas within the town and in the surrounding villages.

Working from home, so no concerns about commute and we homeschool, so Schools not an issue.

Broadband speed is an issue and we would really like to be close to outdoor space. We have looked at Staveley, Knaresborough and properties closer to Harrogate but realise that we are fishing in the dark without some local knowledge.

I am wondering if there any Harrogate MN's who can help?

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 25-Oct-17 21:26:36

There are lots of nice areas but a bit difficult without more information! What sort of house and what budget do have? Would you want to be near a train station, local facilities etc?

Lunenburg Wed 25-Oct-17 21:38:36

We are looking for two properties at £350k to £450k each or one with living space for two generations at approx £800k.

Train station is not important but outdoor space is.

Current thinking favours a village environment but we would consider town centre if we found the right property / properties.

Lunenburg Wed 25-Oct-17 21:45:11

Sorry, I have just realised I didn't answer the 'sort of house' question.

We are really open minded, but will know it when we see it.

Right now our biggest challenge is to know which are the best areas / villages so that we can focus our search.

AnneGrommit Wed 25-Oct-17 21:48:27

Knaresborough is lovely. Very pretty and with a nice arty/Boho contingent there if that's your thing. Sorry if that's me making assumptions based on you homeschooling - should add that I see arty as being a positive!

BarchesterFlowers Wed 25-Oct-17 21:51:35

Bishop Monkton has a nice community. I only know one family that homeschool locally.

MrsPnut Wed 25-Oct-17 21:51:45

Outdoor space is not a problem anywhere in Harrogate.
How about Harlow hill? The access to the pinewoods is fantastic.

Also the bottom end of Bilton leads out onto a walk to Knaresborough which is lovely.

Lunenburg Thu 26-Oct-17 09:37:31

Thank you for all your suggestions

Not very boho AnneG But it definitely helps not having to worry about school catchment areas smile

Will take a look at all the areas suggested and see what we can find on Rightmove what did we do before Rightmove

BarchesterFlowers Thu 26-Oct-17 10:37:55

I think that a lot of the places you are looking will have inflated prices because of the good schools locally. Harlow Moor Road in Harrogate is nice, DH wanted to live there but the houses were massive (esp massive for three of us) and I am a country girl so that didn’t happen.

Pateley Bridge area is lovely if you like something a bit more rustic. In between Harrogate and places like Fountains Abbey. Not sure about broadband speed these days, we live down a very long farm track so ours is naturally rubbish. I did get something through the door about satellite broadband recently, I think that is the way to go if you go fairly rural.

WeatherDependent Thu 26-Oct-17 10:49:44

Harrogate is a nightmare for traffic, the rush hour lasts all day. Personally I’d live in the outskirts or in a village but be prepared to pay big money.

There are loads of lovely villages, I’d have a good drive round so you get a feel for it.

BarchesterFlowers Thu 26-Oct-17 11:04:13

I don’t find it that bad Weather, certain roads at certain times of day but you learn to avoid them if you can at all.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 26-Oct-17 11:21:44

I did see this and thought it could be amazing. Sounds like it would fit your living arrangements but not sure if you would want to have some actual garden space (there is lots of outdoor space nearby though - river is very close with lovely walks etc).

YorkshireFatRascal Thu 26-Oct-17 11:31:32

I agree that the traffic in Harrogate can be a nightmare but it is a lovely place to live in or near. As my username suggest I am partial to One of Betty's signature bakes! It can be very expensive, though I say that as someone who relocated here from Wakefield. Knaresborough or Wetherby are certainly a good compromise if you want to be near openspaces but still within walking distance of some shops and cafes. Wetherby has decent broadband speeds.

Use your house hunting as an excuse to spend time walking around around some lovely villages followed by pub lunches.

Lunenburg Fri 27-Oct-17 09:26:35

Once again thank you.

Lots of food for thought in your responses !!

Lunenburg Fri 27-Oct-17 09:30:45

And thank you for the link whats.

That would definitely meet our space requirements, but we do need some garden.

I know Knareborough and think I know this property as far as location is concerned. It just wouldn't work for the children having no immediate outdoor space.

BarchesterFlowers Fri 27-Oct-17 10:16:04

A doer upper with lots of room ....

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60297154.html

Sunnyshores Fri 27-Oct-17 10:34:51

What a beautiful house, you could something amazing to it with your 'spare' £200k.

Thegirlisnotright Fri 27-Oct-17 18:48:47

That house could be incredible!

lionsleepstonight Sat 28-Oct-17 09:16:26

Huby is very nice. Easy links.

jla123 Sat 28-Oct-17 20:26:41

If you don’t need to commute to Leeds, I think you get more for your money (generally speaking) to the north of Harrogate. North Rigton is one of my favourite villages near Harrogate but is quite expensive. My husband works in Leeds so we’re in a village to the south (Follifoot) which we love and has a great community. A village shop, two pubs and a small school all sold it for us.

Have a look around a few and then look for the right house, as we found villagers, being smaller, have a lower volume of houses coming on the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now