Talk

Advanced search

Vertical radiators - what do you think?

(16 Posts)
PlateOfBiscuits Wed 25-Oct-17 11:44:34

I’m looking to get a vertical radiator in my kitchen/diner.

What do you think of how they look?

Also, the only place it will really go is right over in the kitchen bit and I’m a bit worried I will get chilly when I eat my breakfast in the dining part!

lollipop7 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:47:07

We had one in part of kitchen diner and it didn’t heat the lower and middle part of the room effectively at all. The room was only warm from about five feet up so we changed it back

BubblesBuddy Wed 25-Oct-17 11:56:29

I have several vertical radiators and they work well and do heat all the way way up. Heat does rise, by the way! . You must calculatre the heat output you need for the space you want to heat and put in a sufficiently sized radiator (or an even higher heat output). A tiddly little one will not be sufficient and the finish of the radiator can reduce heat output. For example chrome ones have less output than standard painted ones. There is no difference in heat output whether it is vertical or horizontal.

I would suggest that you also look at a supplementary heating system in the dining area if it is large, but if the kitchen/dinaing area is the same size as your lounge, and you only hasve one radiator in there, then there should not be a problem, assuming you have an insulated house of course.

Thegirlisnotright Wed 25-Oct-17 12:05:01

We put some in our old house, and they often got commented on (positively). We only had narrow bits of wall to use so they suited the space

wowfudge Wed 25-Oct-17 12:05:08

We have them in our kitchen. They work well.

whiskyowl Wed 25-Oct-17 12:46:33

I am reassured to hear that they can be warm. I'm getting one put into my dining room soon - it's the only shape that will fit! I'm actually thinking of getting a column one...

OverinaFlash Wed 25-Oct-17 12:47:52

We have them in the hall, dining room, and kitchen. We've also had lots of positive comments, and as the rooms are small, it helps to use the space effectively.

johnd2 Wed 25-Oct-17 13:41:13

To be honest it won't be effective especially with the positioning. How about a plinth heater with a fan? Some people don't like them but they are really effective

randomthoughts Wed 25-Oct-17 13:43:15

We’ve gone for a Hudson reed revive for our kitchen, they have a really high heat output for the size and look good too

namechangedtoday15 Wed 25-Oct-17 13:43:47

Yes, be sure you check the BTUs you need (there are various online calculators that factor in size of room, how much glass there is, whether there is another room above/ below it, how many outside walls it has etc) and get the white ones rather than chrome (engineer friend told us that they retain heat better once the heating goes off). We have 2 in a very large kitchen diner and they're very effective. I'd recommend the brand Acova, they get very good reviews.

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 25-Oct-17 14:02:16

Thanks everyone. I’ve calculated the BTUs (whatever they are!) and I’m looking at makes now.

Will the heat just go all into the ceiling? Shall I get the ceiling insulated (is that a thing?) - part of it is coming down anyway to sort some electrical work.

johnd2 What do you mean when you say it won’t be effective? And how will a plinth heater help keep the dining area toasty warm?

johnd2 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:29:36

It won't be effective because it won't be positioned well and the heat will be concentrated in one area. A plinth heater blows the heat horizontally at floor level so mixes well

flirtygirl Wed 25-Oct-17 16:53:00

I have 6 of them in an old victorian and they work very well. I got column style and made sure i added to the required btu,s needed and they have thermostatic valves on each one.

House is very warm now and you can turn them down very easily. Will put them in again when i move and wish i could be bothered to rip them out and take them with me but not worth the time or hassle however much i love them.
Not sure about john and effectiveness, ive found them more effective as take up less useful space in a room than a horizontal radiator and heat just as well.

flirtygirl Wed 25-Oct-17 16:54:00

Just to add that they heat in the same way of my horizontal ones and not just in one place.

johnd2 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:17:26

I'm not sure the op want to fit 6 of them,I thought only one in a large room.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 25-Oct-17 23:24:46

Johnd2 I don't think the pp meant she had 6 in one room!!

Ours are very effective, OP all you can do is look at the reviews and check the BTUs. I don't think plinth heaters work in a diner (there's no plinth?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now