Talk

Advanced search

How much should worktops overlap base units in a contemporary kitchen?

(22 Posts)
whiskyowl Wed 25-Oct-17 10:37:54

I'm noticing on Pinterest that large worktop overhangs seem to be reserved for more traditional kitchen, with contemporary ones having an overhang of just a few mm?

How many mm should I allow for a contemporary kitchen?

wowfudge Wed 25-Oct-17 11:19:39

If you have no overhang it is harder to wipe up crumbs, etc as you can't get your hand under the edge of the worktop. You end up with bits all over the floor or down the unit fronts. A square edge or shallower depth of worktop can look more modern than alternatives.

whiskyowl Wed 25-Oct-17 11:31:34

wowfudge - thanks for the advice, you are so well-informed!

I'm definitely getting a square edge.

The Ikea worktops can overhang as much as 15mm over the units. I'm thinking that's quite a lot, and wondering if I can get away with an overhang of about 4-5mm instead?

The reason this is such an issue is that the room has been designed so that the units butt right up to a tall window frame. I am now in the process of deciding where the floor of the kitchen should go, down to the mm. So I need to make a decision about how deep my worktops will be - will they slightly overlap the window frame, or sit right on the edge of it with a sliver of plaster showing before the units start? If I have only a small overhang, I think the whole thing may look a bit sleeker.

echt Wed 25-Oct-17 12:10:01

I have no wisdom to offer except that to note that whatever the overhang, the top drawer is always full of crumby shite.

I blame Brexit.

whiskyowl Wed 25-Oct-17 12:39:30

echt - grin

My new kitchen, being hypothetical, is wonderfully crumb free and designed so that there is a convenient and clear place for absolutely everything. I will also lose a stone the moment I enter it and become a svelte Scandinavian blonde.

Ahhh, we can but dream wink

Meandyouandyouandme Wed 25-Oct-17 13:14:02

My worktop overhang is in-line with the handles, which are from Ikea. So probably about 10mm, and I prepare food near the pull out bin, so sweep all crumbs off the worktop into the bin, most of the time!

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 13:22:41

I know the modern way is to have a small overhang, but I love a nice big 1.5cm overhang so you can easily wipe stuff off the counter, scrape veg peelings into the compost tub etc

namechangedtoday15 Wed 25-Oct-17 13:37:39

I don't really have an overhang, I can't remember off the top of my head whether we went with 3mm but it was definitely as close as we could get with a quartz worktop (seem to recall there was a tolerance of 5mm on the measurements, so perhaps 2.5mm on each edge). I agree that it looks much more contemporary, even with my inframe painted kitchen. If you're going for a modern looking kitchen, don't have an overhang.

As for crumbs, really??? How messy are you all grin grin?

Her0utdoors Wed 25-Oct-17 13:47:23

Disappointingly little in my new kitchen, it makes crumb wiping unsatisfying. It wasn't intentional, the builder needed to pull the cabinets as far forward as possible to accommodate the plumbing for sink/ dishwasher/washing machine all close together.

whiskyowl Wed 25-Oct-17 15:22:57

Is that really 10mm meandyou - it looks smaller! Having it in line with the handles looks really smart.

I have a big overhang at the moment and I STILL manage to get crumbs everywhere!! grin

cloughie100 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:25:29

meandyou, what is your worktop made of? Is that an Ikea kitchen with ikea doors or custom doors?

Meandyouandyouandme Thu 26-Oct-17 13:22:01

Think I may have the size wrong, I’d have to measure and I’m at work now. It’s these handles from Ikea, that’s the only thing from there. Work tops are Formica and plywood, handmade in Scotland. Cupboards are basic matt white ones from a trade supplier. It’s supposed to look 1950s as that’s the age of the house.

whiskyowl Thu 26-Oct-17 14:36:19

It looks lovely meandyou! So neat!

Meandyouandyouandme Thu 26-Oct-17 15:13:44

Thanks whiskeyowl, it’s supposed to not look like a kitchen as far as that’s possible. Nothing on the worktops apart from the kettle and book rack. Easy to keep clean as well!

SilverSpot Thu 26-Oct-17 15:37:16

Yeah it looks really good, clean lines. I like it.

Meandyouandyouandme Thu 26-Oct-17 16:50:34

Thanks, it was designed by my DH, so I can’t take any of the credit.

RubbishMantra Thu 26-Oct-17 17:14:38

I love your kitchen Meandyou. The ply edging on the wall unit and worktops is genious.

OP, I think you're right about not wanting the worktop to encroach into the window frame. It would bug me if it were mine, and then I wouldn't be able to see anything but that one, tiny detail IYSWIM.

whiskyowl Thu 26-Oct-17 17:27:14

I'm the same rubbish. My eye goes straight to those things, however small, and they bug me!

cloughie100 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:43:54

meandyou would be able to let me know who supplied the Formica on ply please?
How does it work with sink-is it ok to get edges wet? Also can you put hot pans on it?
Sorry for hi-jack of thread!

Meandyouandyouandme Fri 27-Oct-17 11:58:43

Hi cloughie, worktops are from a company called Birkwood cabinet makers, www.birkwoodscotland.com. The edges are sealed so water is fine around the sink area. I don’t put hot pans on it, I had some extra bits of ply and Formica made into smaller boards as worktop savers so put pans on them, which haven’t been damaged, so you can put hot pans on them, I just don’t risk it on my worktops.

cloughie100 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:31:25

Thanks for info!

Brienne Mon 30-Oct-17 07:53:06

"It was designed by my DH"

I would have loved this. Mine was unhelpful at best but then at the last minute vetoed the high gloss units I wanted....confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now