Talk

Advanced search

When is the best time to give one month's notice to landlord?

(8 Posts)
BeautifulLiar Wed 25-Oct-17 08:50:22

Theoretically, as I am still looking for a house to buy.

I have to give one month's notice on the 1st of whatever month.

What stage of the house buying process would you do this?

tbaggy Wed 25-Oct-17 09:03:28

Not until you have a firm completion date. However, that could be the same day as exchange or weeks afterwards.

Unfortunately it's not an exact science. You could ask for the completion date to be on the first of a month I suppose but it depends on what the rest of the chain want to do.

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 09:10:48

Only after you have exchanged.

Budget for up to two months cross over.

ijustwannadance Wed 25-Oct-17 09:14:04

Our landlord was great and we told him we were buying a house once offer was accepted but that we would give official notice once we knew it was all ok.

The process took far longer that expected due to us being messed about, then xmas when all associated businesses shut for a week or so.

We gave notice once we had paid deposit and signed paperwork. I prefered having a bit of overlap, which worked out well as the stupid seller we had was very disorganised and was still moving her crap out at 9pm!!!

We moved in a few days later and I had time to clean rental house properly. No way would I arrange to be out and move in on same day.

specialsubject Wed 25-Oct-17 09:53:18

When you have exchange. Not before.

If ( like many on here) you are unclear about the difference between signong contracts, exchange and completion, ask the solicitor to explain.

BeautifulLiar Wed 25-Oct-17 14:50:40

Right ok. I wouldn't have thought to have left it as left as exchange so thanks for the heads up!

We've seen a house that looks perfect and it's in a nice area do we're viewing that on Saturday - and apparently there's no chain so that would help a lot

specialsubject Wed 25-Oct-17 15:53:41

Apparently... In my experience unless it is a probate sale or an empty ex rental there is always a chain.

Good luck. If england the deal is not done until exchange.

BeautifulLiar Wed 25-Oct-17 16:05:52

Ah, really? I'm 99% sure it doesn't fit onto those two categories - looks like a family home (which is why I love it!).

A chain would actually help a little bit as without going into details we will be a little slow getting a mortgage offer as we have to sort out our tax credits claim, so at least there'd be less chance of them noticing we were holding them up a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now