Talk

Advanced search

Do you think we could do something with this floorplan .........

(47 Posts)
Mjs0510 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:21:56

We thinking of putting an offer in on a house but would want to change the layout upstairs to make a master suite with dressing room and ensuite with bath / double sinks large shower etc by losing one of the bedrooms and maybe the second en suite as there is a large family bathroom and also another en suite on the top floor

Anybody any ideas they'd like to share to give it a nice flow as I'm not seeing it at the moment

Geneticsbunny Tue 24-Oct-17 21:51:56

Make bedroom 2 a dressing room and extend the bathroom adjoining the master bedroom out to the hallway and move the bedroom door over a little bit?

Geneticsbunny Tue 24-Oct-17 21:54:00

What is the space with the circle under bedroom 3?

OlennasWimple Tue 24-Oct-17 21:59:01

Make the Master suite into a huge room with walk-in wardrobe by incorporating all of the existing master suite plus bedroom 2 and the hallway / void space.

Extend the ensuite in the master suite so it's big and lovely (it looks a bit pokey on the plan ATM)

Lose the shower room that's currently attached to Bedroom 2 and use that space to make Bedroom 3 bigger - eg walk in wardrobe there too and lose the fitted wardrobes already in situ. Or a little study den (depending who will be using the room)

Mjs0510 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:35:43

Geneticsbunny - thats what I had thought about doing but wasn't sure the flow would be great.

The space with the circle is a cupboard full of underfloor heating pipes etc so can't be moved.

We might have a bigger problem to check out though as the 2 attic bedrooms weren't on the original planning permission for the house - or the ensuite thats also up there - not sure if that will cause problems or not confused

LuluJakey1 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:48:54

Make bedroom 2 into a dressing room and leave the ensuite attached then you can each have your own bathroom. You can have the large dressing room with attached ensuite and DH can have the cupboards near the doorway into bedroom 1 with that ensuite. Seems fair to me.

LuluJakey1 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:50:27

I would love, love, love my own bathroom, free from DH, his shaving, mess with soap and toothpaste, damp towels etc, and my own loo that no one else ever used.

Viviene Tue 24-Oct-17 23:20:33

Erm... why would you lose a bedroom with a door to the balcony to get a walk-in wardrobe?

I don't think the flow would that good tbh.

Geneticsbunny Wed 25-Oct-17 07:38:15

You could lose the en suite to bedroom 3 and make bedroom 3 an ensuite and dressing room to bedroom 2?

SoupDragon Wed 25-Oct-17 07:56:38

I suspect the easiest way is to lose the balcony and incorporate it into the master bedroom. Of course that depends on whether it's a roof terrace rather than a balcony IYSWIM. Perhaps replace both end windows for the master and bed 2 with Juliet balconies.

SoupDragon Wed 25-Oct-17 07:57:48

Or convert the attic bedrooms to a master suite?

rizlett Wed 25-Oct-17 08:05:28

I think the flow would work best [notwithstanding your decision to go ahead or not] if you left bed 1 & 2 as they are - both are a good size - and incorporate the two smaller bedrooms at other end of the house into a master suite with double doors maybe from the hallway where the stairwell ends.

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 08:22:43

I agree with @rizlett

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 08:32:41

Like these maybe

SoupDragon Wed 25-Oct-17 08:40:08

If you did that there would not be an upstairs toilet accessible without going through a bedroom. It can be awkward for guests although there's most likely one downstairs. Moving the door to the second ensuite so that is is accessed from the hall might be worthwhile though.

SoupDragon Wed 25-Oct-17 08:41:03

You can't get rid of the Cupboard with the circle in it that is below bed 3

parkview094 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:47:50

Why don't you lose the family bathroom - do you need one if every room has an en-suite? It would be super easy to convert the RH side of upstairs into a master suite. IF you needed a family bathroom still, you might be able to steal from the dressing room to put a bathroom accessed from the 'void' if there's room to walk through?

Archipops Wed 25-Oct-17 09:37:21

My suggestion is: Turn the master bedroom into a big square room by getting rid of the master ensuite shower. then get rid of the wall between the master bedroom and bedroom 2. make the ensuite to bedroom 2 bigger to accommodate a bath tub. The remainder of bedroom two would then be your large dressing room. So, the hierarchy of privacy/space would then be good. You would enter your room straight into the master bedroom space which is now a large square room, You would then go to the bathroom through the large dressing room space. Your new ensuite (currently the ensuite of bedroom 2) would need to be longer/bigger to fit a new bath, but you still have the window at the corner for ventilation you’d might need a ventilation fan in the new ensuite to assist ventilation. The only drawback is your new ensuite would be quite an elongatedly shaped room which can work but may not look perfect for a master ensuite bathroom.

SoupDragon Wed 25-Oct-17 09:40:53

Isn't the void an open space down to the ground floor?

Mjs0510 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:42:15

rizlett, SilverSpot - Love the idea of making the right handside the master suite but that cupboard has to stay where it is unfortunately so would be like parkview094 has shown. I'm sure we could do something with this though - perhaps access the en suite through the dressing room to cut down on doors. Just be a shame not to have the balcony.

I don't mind not having a family bathroom if all rooms have en-suites (which they would) we have lived in a house with that set up before and visitors just use the downstairs loo. We'd probably still make the old master en suite into a bigger room as well

There are already bedrooms in the loft, my teenage DD is going up there out of the way to have her own space

Archipops Wed 25-Oct-17 09:49:07

My 2nd Suggestion: Make the ensuite of the master bedroom longer so that it will take the whole of the front portion This will then fit your new bathtub. Then, move the door to the master bedroom slightly up to avoid the new internal wall junction. Then create an opening between the master bedroom and bedroom 2 so that bedroom 2 will become your dressing room. Block off the door to the ensuite of bedroom two, and create a new door from the other side so that the ensuite becomes the new ensuite for bedroom three.

Mjs0510 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:50:36

SoupDragon - yes it is, no reason why it has to be though. But I do prefer to have a window on the landing.

Viviene - that was my initial thoughts but would I really want the kids or guests seeing into the master suite if they were on the balcony?

We're off for a 2nd viewing this afternoon so lots to think about

trinitybleu Wed 25-Oct-17 09:55:36

What parkview suggested

SeaToSki Wed 25-Oct-17 10:04:48

I would gut the entire room that the master bedroom is in currently, removing all the cupboards and the small ensuite. Make it a lovely big room with space for a pretty desk and a little seating area by the balcony doors. Then knock through a door into bedroom 2 and make that the master bathroom. The bedroom 2 ensuite the becomes a walk in closet for you and your DH has the reach in closets that back onto the hall. You could even put a clawfoot bath in front of the balcony doors (they would have to be locked in place) with a separate shower.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 25-Oct-17 11:25:58

This is my suggestion, sort of like SeaToSki has suggested.

I think trying to put a master suite on the other side of the house gives too many compromises. Only thing with my suggestion is that bedroom 4 ends up with a massive bathroom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: