Talk

Advanced search

Broken shower - advice needed

(8 Posts)
ACurlyWurly Tue 24-Oct-17 07:17:35

I have a Triton Enrich electric shower which was in place when I moved in. I believe the pump may have gone as the minimal power it had to it seems slower and it sounds different, the water is getting really hot too!
Firstly - how do I know for sure if it’s the pump? Could it be a build up of lime scale (however it was fine yesterday)

Secondly - I have looked in screwfix and the same shower is in there at £50 is this something I can change myself? Would there be any problem upgrading to a better one that I need to consider? Do I need a plumber or an electrician to change an electric shower?

Other info - we have a gravity fed water system in the bathroom from a massive tank in the loft.

Thanks in advance!

ACurlyWurly Tue 24-Oct-17 07:37:37

Shower pics

specialsubject Tue 24-Oct-17 09:18:16

You can change it yourself if you have the skills - this is a mix of water and electricity.

Upgrading may not be possible without rewiring, showers have a high current demand.

Showers themselves are indeed cheap.

ACurlyWurly Tue 24-Oct-17 09:42:23

I am good with basic electrics so i guess as long as i get the fittings tight on the pipes and go like for like it should be possible

ChinUpChestOut Tue 24-Oct-17 09:44:44

See if there's a tutorial on YouTube - you can't be too careful with electricity and water.......

PigletJohn Tue 24-Oct-17 10:54:30

electric showers don't have pumps.

It might be limescale. Unscrew the shower head from the hose and let water gush from the hose into a bucket. Time it to full. How many litres per minute does it deliver?

Then do the same with the shower head screwed on.

ACurlyWurly Tue 24-Oct-17 11:24:48

PigletJohn - thats very interesting to hear! I will do that as soon as i get home (and will pick up lime scale remover just in case!) I didnt think it could be that as it happened all of a sudden but I guess it has to affect it at some point. We do live in a very hard water area.

ACurlyWurly Tue 24-Oct-17 18:16:29

I just tried it with a 2 litre jug. 30 seconds with no head and 50 with head so it’s currently soaking in vinegar (no time for the strong stuff!) let’s see if that fixes it. I have also come home to find water truck in next street. Think we had an issue in the area which may have slowed things down (but tank in loft is full now so who knows!)
Glad I waited PJ you may have saved me £50 and a load of effort

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now