Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you replaced/improved your staircase?

(5 Posts)
Millybingbong Mon 23-Oct-17 22:01:32

I am not sure whether a whole replacement might be the way to go, but we have very creaky stairs, and a super ugly ballustrate and the footprint of the bottom step is not what I either (too decorative)

Has anyone any experience in this area? There seem to be lots of companies that sell staircases or parts but perhaps it is just a normal carpenter to fit? I want something quite plain .

I also want some drawers in the low bit under the stairs.

Thanks in advance,

Millybingbong Tue 24-Oct-17 08:55:44

Anyone? Do diy-ers only come out in the day?

whiskyowl Tue 24-Oct-17 09:06:52

You need to get a joiner out and get a quote. It may be the whole thing needs replacing, it may be you can just replace a few parts and it'll be like new.

Prusik Tue 24-Oct-17 09:46:51

My husband is a "decorator" (he does much more than just decorate) - he pulled down all the stairs panelling when I was 37 weeks pregnant! and put up new balustrades with a handrail. He then kind of sanded off the nule (sp?) posts to shape them a little. It looks a lot better.

He also did it for his uncle - the quote didn't cost as much as I thought it would.

Someone would be able to supply and fit for you, no problem. It'll only take a couple of days.

ScrubbyGarden Tue 24-Oct-17 13:20:24

Our general small builder completely rebuilt our stairs to even our some different height treads. Cost £600 and took a couple of careful days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now