Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything you can do to improve pebbledash?

(93 Posts)
PaintingOwls Sun 22-Oct-17 19:39:05

DP and I are looking to buy our first house but for whatever reason a lot of houses in our budget are pebbledashed and I am 'vetoing' those houses because I find it so, so ugly and am at a loss of what we can do about it.

Take this house for example - www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67129880.html - it is not the fact that it needs gutting that puts me off, but that hideous exterior.

A similar house down the road which has exposed bricks is about £40-70k more expensive...

Please give me some hope about pebbledash. Ways to make it look better, cover it, reinvent it, anything - inspire me! thlsad

WildCherryBlossom Wed 25-Oct-17 12:07:58

You do become accustomed to pebble dash living in Scotland. I always thought it must help with insulating or something. It’s everywhere! There’s a woman near me (down south) who included the removal of pebbledash in her planning application. It was refused. She was allowed to make loads of changes to her house, but not to remove the pebbledash. It’s painted white now, and you don’t really notice it.

BordersMumNow123 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:47:44

squishysquirmy exactly it's everywhere up here and doesn't look awful maybe I am just getting TOO accustomed to it grin

I don't mind the OPs reaction to moving up north, I feel the same about moving back down south tbh thlgrin

squishysquirmy Wed 25-Oct-17 11:25:15

BordersMumNow123 I'm in North East Scotland, and since moving here I have warmed to pebble dashing! Even some of the castles/stately homes round Aberdeenshire are pebble dashed, and lots of the naice suburban new builds which have gone up recently are pebble dashed (in grey contemporary colours).

I think some of the reactions to op saying she doesn't want to move North have been pretty harsh. She wasn't being offensive, she just wants a house in the part of the country where her job and roots are - what is the point in showing her houses hundreds of miles away, no matter how cheap and beautiful they are?

Plus, if every Londoner moved to the same, cheap, lovely Northern town you would see house prices there rocket!

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 09:14:34

@FrankiesKnuckle those are WAY nicer and better value than the crack-den wreck!

BordersMumNow123 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:13:36

In Scotland it's still quite common to pebbledash/roughcaste houses, particularly timber frame ones. But it doesn't seem to look so bad on a house in rural Scotland.

I also thought pebbledash was done for durability? It's pretty tough stuff and put on lots of the old cottages up here to protect them from the elements, however I expect that's probably not so much of an issue in London.

Anyway, even in London when I used to live there I remember seeing well maintained/painted white pebbledash and it looked fine.

LuluJakey1 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:47:27

Stay in the fucking South OP and pay over £300,000 for a slum- we don't want you in the North. No one was suggesting you move here.

FrankiesKnuckle Mon 23-Oct-17 22:41:51

https://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44235667?search_identifier=90d33496f5eae7f9676a3e06a0b1d9e8

FrankiesKnuckle Mon 23-Oct-17 22:37:39

https://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/45238517?search_identifier=34ad0d3fccf5b5df3b6a01d5abf20f51

Very typical house for St Helier estate. Less than a mile from the hospital.

FrankiesKnuckle Mon 23-Oct-17 22:34:37

*Who wouldn’t want to live in love lane?
Er, me. Mitcham is a hole.

The St Helier estate isn’t that bad. A real mix of people, generally a bit rough around the edges.
I still wouldn’t touch the OP first house with a barge pole, keep looking.

PaintingOwls Mon 23-Oct-17 22:20:01

Ooooh thank you Laira!

Liara Mon 23-Oct-17 22:00:45

www.backtofrontexteriordesign.com/projects/finished-projects/

Liara Mon 23-Oct-17 21:54:07

There was a site which was linked to on here a few times for someone who did the most amazing transformations of the outside of houses, I'll see if I can find it (or does anyone else know what I"m talking about?)

OverinaFlash Mon 23-Oct-17 21:46:15

@PaintingOwls I've pmed you.

callmeadoctor Mon 23-Oct-17 21:36:46

Paint it, paint it :-)

GoodMorning1 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:33:50

Jesus Christ, I am not moving to the fucking North, thank you.

Good, cos with that attitude we don't want you!

Ploppie4 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:30:11

All our houses have been like the one you’re looking at. Each housevhad it’s own merit but we are very lucky to now live in a stunning area.

Visualise off white painted pebbledash. Contemporary door. Mature garden. Contemporary Swedish Cornwall feel internally. Wooden floors.

ArbitraryName Mon 23-Oct-17 21:27:45

I can’t think why you’re not tempted by gems like that lovely terrace in elswick. Sure, there’d by a 6 or so hour commute each way, but that’s nothing!

(Note for anyone tempted to take this seriously: I’m not actually serious about this).

Painted pebbledash looks fine. In fact, I’m pretty confident that a bit of paint, possibly a new door, a nice fence and some gardening and you could make that house look pretty nice from the street. The totally botched extension at the back would be another story entirely.

CaptainsCat Mon 23-Oct-17 21:22:42

As PP said, painting it white and repainting it when it gets grubby (often in London? wink) would look the best I think.

CaptainsCat Mon 23-Oct-17 21:20:48

Google says that pebble dash CAN be removed, but as it was often used to cover cheap/poor quality brickwork, the wall underneath can crumble away. Rendering over the top can apparently cause stress to the structure of the house, and would only be done by cowboy builders! I think you may be looking at painting it and making do.

squishysquirmy Mon 23-Oct-17 21:18:28

I do understand why you don't like pebble dash, especially when on a boxy looking house like that.

But imagine that photo of the front with the pebble dash painted a crisp white, the untidy wires trailing across the front gone, the door replaced and the garden beautifully tidied. Will it look like your dream house? No. But, could you live with it? (remember you normally spend less than 2 mins a day looking at the front of your house) You know the answer to that better than us, but if I was in your position I would not rule out houses based on ugly looking pebble dashed exteriors. That house may not be the one for you (it would take quite a bit of wok to do up the interior) but you might miss out on a different lovely house if you prioritise the exterior too much.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 23-Oct-17 21:14:05

Don't wear nice shoes if you do go to view.

Maybe a hazmat suit and wellies?

PaintingOwls Mon 23-Oct-17 20:50:37

Would a door like this work with a white pebble-dashed house?

I am just trying to build up ideas of what we could do to make 'ugly' houses work so that I can be a bit more open-minded. Interiors can be painted and decorated quite easily imo, but I am at a loss when it comes to exteriors. If anyone has any resources for transformations of house facades please send them over.

The Victorian pebble dash house was off Google as an example, unfortunately we've not come across anything like that.

The wreck in my OP appeals because of the larger rooms, our tight budget and the potential to extend into the attic, even if it's to add an office or play area rather than a bedroom. I am tempted to book a viewing, even if it's just to see if it's as bad as some of you fear it may be! thlgrin

The house we buy will be for the next 10 years or so, unless my salary suddenly quadruples or we win the lottery, as DP's salary isn't really going to change drastically with the NHS (although he is considering agency work /dons hard hat).

PaintingOwls Mon 23-Oct-17 20:39:18

Cheers OverinaFlash Wallington and Carshalton is a good shout.

Can I ask what's wrong with St Helier? I have never been, it would be good to hear some insider knowledge.

SilverSpot Mon 23-Oct-17 18:06:17

WOW, no one ever knew that property prices are cheaper outside of London. Thanks for that illuminating revelation.

ArbitraryName Mon 23-Oct-17 17:08:46

That house in Elswick! The holes in the wall and the window...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »