Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen layout help

(23 Posts)
EmmaG78 Sun 22-Oct-17 17:31:25

We are about to switch our double garage to be a new kitchen and after 4 different designers have been round I'm sad to say I'm unimpressed with their plans.
Attached is one of my layouts, which at the minute is my favourite although it doesn't include my 'dream pantry layout'. That just doesn't seem it fit in how I want it so I'm having to compromise on that.
The windows on the sink wall aren't in, but that would be their placement to mirror the bedroom above.
The other two little windows either side of the hob top are just ideas. The funny rectangle is the under stairs slope and a little armchair type thing.
Do any ideas jump out at anyone?

AppleAndBlackberry Sun 22-Oct-17 17:37:14

I think I'd swap the sink and the dishwasher so sink was directly under RH window. I'd probably also put the fridge and freezer together. What sort of pantry did you want ideally? How about a built in one under the stairs?

EmmaG78 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:26:51

This is the first plan with the tall integrated fridge and freezer placed separately. I just can't seem to get the layout right with them together.
This photo is what I'd wanted for fridge/pantry/pantry/freezer set up, but if I plan that on the stairs wall it means it has to link in with the floor to ceiling awkward boiler cupboard and spoils the look, hence trying to make pantry more of a stand alone furniture piece. Thanks for your reply A&B!

wowfudge Sun 22-Oct-17 18:49:20

I think having the ovens and the hob on opposite sides of the room is a mistake. Put the ovens to the left of the hob, but still with worktop either side of the hob and have your tall unit next to the ovens on the other side of the room or have tall storage cupboards where you currently have the pantry units. Put the fridge and freezer where you currently have the ovens and tall unit near the door.

I don't see the issue with the pantry under the stairs - it's a great place to have it and make use of what would otherwise be dead space.

The island is too big imo - you will be constantly walking around it to complete pretty much every task. Consider having a peninsula instead or having nothing between the stairs and boiler cupboard and putting a table there.

EmmaG78 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:10:28

Thanks wowfudge, appreciate your reply.
I shall have a look at swapping the ovens and freezer over like you say. My thought behind that was we rarely use the feeezer compared to the ovens so put it in a more out of the way part of the kitchen.
I have no issue with the pantry being under the stairs, that's where I'd always envisaged it, and a different colour unit to the rest, its just that it doesn't fit my 'dream' set up of the photo above.
That island size of x4 60cm units has been what every designer has put in there so far!! But I'll consider its size and try to walk round it in my head more. I definitely don't want another dining table as we have a proper dining room and the kids also have a big table in the playroom for breakfasts and eating with pals etc as we have no where to eat in the current kitchen.
Thank you!

wowfudge Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:51

Think about putting shopping away and prepping a meal - better to have fridge and freezer together I think. In fact also think through doing things like making a hot drink, clearing up after cooking, etc and that will help you sense check any layout.

Interesting that all the designers have put an island of that size there - it fills a big space! I'd be tempted to play with having an L shaped island there or something different.

QuitMoaning Sun 22-Oct-17 20:47:53

I am just finishing my kitchen (worktops arrive tomorrow) and we have similar space and have an island in it. The island is not quite as big but it does dominate the space but I have got the main stuff on one side so I won’t be walking around it it and I couldn’t get a peninsula in.

My main piece of advice is do not compromise on the pantry. I always said I wouldn’t compromise as I wanted it.

I compromised

I already regret it. It is just a large corner cupboard now. I wish I hadn’t compromised. I really really do.

EmmaG78 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:21:58

@quitmoaning oh I'm so sorry you feel regret all ready and it's not even done yet ! Is there no way you can change something now before it's totally finished? So what kind did you ideally want to start with? I've seen some gorgeous pantry cupboards that are large corner cupboards recently!

QuitMoaning Sun 22-Oct-17 21:52:46

It is all bespoke and what I wanted wouldn’t fit with the ovens and the fridge positions so I went with a giant full height corner cupboard with a folding door. I should have found a way to move the ovens or the fridge.

The utility room has had what I wanted. A giant corner upbaord with a large angled door. So easy to open and see everything. If I didn’t have that as a comparison I would have been happy with my corner larder.

I will make it work. With boxes and being sensible.
I will get some photos tomorrow which will explain it better.

Just find a way to get what you want.

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:29:59

@quitmoaning
I'm looking forward to some pics of your kitchen with it being roughly the same space. And I'll definitely do what I can to get my 'dream' bits into the plan. I've lived for 14 years with a kitchen I hate so I really don't want to get this wrong. But i did naively think that this new big space would allow me to have all the bits I wanted ! Silly me!
Hope today goes smoothly with your worktop.

YorkshireTea86 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:38:04

I agree it seems as if you would be all over the room to make a meal. I would want the fridge and freezer swapped if you don't use the freezer much. Like wowfudge says think about everyday tasks such as making a cup of tea/coffee, making lunch, evening meal. We had our kitchen fitted last week, and I'm please with the layout I finally chose doing virtually and of the above I take no more than 3 or 4 steps between the things I need, ie between where the kettle is and the sink and fridge, the oven and hob.

imonaplane Mon 23-Oct-17 10:55:17

I have just had my kitchen done. I have a large island with my hob on and the ovens, fridge, freezer and pantry unit on the wall behind. It works brilliantly for me.

QuitMoaning Mon 23-Oct-17 11:38:48

Ok, photo time as worktops now in although some cupboards need finishing along with splash back, sink and extractor. But it does show the corner cupboard.
Hopefully the photos will work.
This is the kitchen with the corner cupboard closed and then open

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:39:44

@yorkshiretea86
Thanks for replying. I have no issue walking around to do things at the minute, infact we have hob with ovens under currently and find it a nightmare if hubby tries to help and we're on top of each other - so was trying to make the traditional kitchen work triangle and put plenty of space between each haha . So did I read you right that you would put feeezer by the entrance to the kitchen and the fridge on the long wall - which to me feels like towards the back of kitchen.
I've just been walking round in My head doing all the jobs you listed and envisage spending most of the time in the front U shape at the front of the house, where the sink and masses of surface is.
Pleased you're happy with your finished kitchen!

QuitMoaning Mon 23-Oct-17 11:40:17

This is the utility room with cupboard closed and then open. This is an amazing cupboard and not sure the photos do it justice.

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:44:56

Oh @quitmoaning that's gorgeous!! I thought that's what you meant with the corner pantry and it looks great!! You'll soon get used to it being a different pantry shape to your initial wish, especially as you've got one of the slanted ones in the utility. Best of both worlds!
Same radiator to my plan too.
Do you remember your kitchen dimensions? And island dimensions?
Mines 5.5m x 4.5m

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:53:27

@imonaplane I don't have enough undisturbed wall space for a kitchen run like that, i totally get that that layout is ideal for not wasting 'steps' all over the kitchen, but kinda feel that looks more suited to a modern kitchen, mine is painted shaker in frame (pics attached) and from what I've seen so far it looks better with a more traditional layout - I just can't even get that right yet!

QuitMoaning Mon 23-Oct-17 12:26:41

The kitchen is 3.7m by 3.7m

The island is 1.2 by 1.8 I think. Approximately

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:36:59

Ta very much for that. My island is a bit smaller than yours 1.2 x 1.6 so in a bigger room may look even more smaller. Is your island black or dark grey? We're very similar on colours although very different unit style. Love the mix of dark and light.

QuitMoaning Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:12

Very dark grey, I think it is anthracite. It is a RAL colour 7016.
Same as my bifold and radiator.

YorkshireTea86 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:11:49

Yes in your current plan I'd put the fridge toward the back with the pantry so all the food is in one area. I know what you mean about people getting in the way it's why our ovens are on the opposite side to the hob and i have two large separate work areas, one for the kettle and one for toaster, old kitchen only had one big worktop dh used to put his chopping board right in front of the kettle, used to wind me up no end.

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:11:59

Some more doodles to help me walk around it mentally.

EmmaG78 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:12:50

Other elevations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now