Advanced search

Under occupied council. HA property

(86 Posts)
tweedysue Sun 22-Oct-17 13:35:31

When a woman & 2 children live in a council house and the children grow up and leave, thus leaving 1 woman living in a 3 bed council house do you think they should move into a smaller property ??? Personally I do especially as the rent is subsidised by the tax payer and a family could be living there.

SheSparkles Sun 22-Oct-17 13:36:39

Are rents subsidised by the tax payer? That isn't the case in my council area

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 22-Oct-17 13:36:43

How is the rent subsidies by the tax payer?

Could you explain that?

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 22-Oct-17 13:37:18

Is the woman no longer a part of a ‘family’ now then?

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 22-Oct-17 13:37:50

And which property would you propose she is ‘moved into’?

AnneGrommit Sun 22-Oct-17 13:40:01

Council rent isn't subsidised by anyone unless the tenant is claiming housing benefit. People who have secure tenancies have the right to stay in their homes as long as they damn well please. There aren't enough council houses. This means we should be building more and is an issue that is beyond the responsibility of council tenants. If you voted Tory then it's actually more your responsibility than most other people's.

ArbitraryName Sun 22-Oct-17 13:42:36

Wouldn’t it be better if, rather than looking at our friends, family, acquaintances and neighbours and judging whether they ‘deserve’ the housing they have, we looked to our political leaders to actually ensure a sufficient quantity of decent, affordable housing?

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 22-Oct-17 14:05:44

Op.... where are you?

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 22-Oct-17 16:29:20

Not too bothered then..

Babyroobs Sun 22-Oct-17 16:53:10

There's a lack of smaller properties for people to move into though, that is part of the problem.

tweedysue Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:03

Council rents are subsidised by the tax payer as they are well below market prices, also any repairs are carried out FOC for the tennant. That's how they are subsidised. Also why should 1 person occupy a 3 bed house when there are nice parents with children living in cramp conditions... Answer that one

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 08:49:44

There are not enough 1 bed flats around to rehouse all those who live in larger properties. This is one if the issues with the bedrooms tax and why it hasn't worked.

tweedysue Mon 23-Oct-17 08:50:16


StoorieHoose Mon 23-Oct-17 08:50:55

nice parents hmm

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Mon 23-Oct-17 08:51:36

They are not subsidised.

Below market rate doesn't mean subsidised at all.

Are Tesco subsidising Aldi?

Morally speaking she should move, but where will she go. She needs a one bed to be available before she can do that.

Legally speaking she probably has every right to stay in the house.

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 08:51:43

Isn’t this what the bedroom tax was all about?

StoorieHoose Mon 23-Oct-17 08:51:50

Why do you care? Are you a nice parent that’s is over occupied?

tweedysue Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:10

aNN, what the hell has who i voted for got to do with it.. By the way Labour have the worst record Blair especially for NOT building social housing . As I have no say in what housing is built anyway I do not see how its any responsibilty ofmine...

RJnomore1 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:28

That's not subsidy. It just shows the profit margin on private rentals.

Social housing is only subsidised at the point of building. The organisation be it ha or council receives some grant support to build the property. From then on it runs as any other business and is required to produce business plans and 30 year cash flows to show how the income (RENT) covers the cost of management, cyclical and reactive repairs and all other costs related to the property or organisation.

If you think the government shouldn't support building houses that is a different discussion but please don't spout bullshit about tax payers and rent.

tshirtsuntan Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:35

Private rents are over inflated in many areas due to housing demand. Historically rent costs were about the same with council housing desirable due to secure tenancies not cost. In rental accommodation all repairs are free of charge to tenants as it is the landlords responsibility.

drspouse Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:59

any repairs are carried out FOC for the tennant.

As for other tenants. They don't own the property, why should they pay to repair it?

RJnomore1 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:54:00

Oh and please note when I saysome grant support I mean some which does not cover the full cost of build, the rest has to be privately financed which again must be covered by the organisations income i.e. rent.

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 08:54:00

I don't agree with the op but there's no argument to be made that social housing isn't subsidised. Social housing costs councils and housing associations money to run.

MrsJayy Mon 23-Oct-17 08:55:53

Of fuck off with the rent is subsidised by the tax payer it really isn't because social housing isn't supposed to run along side private rent prices. This imaginery women has not done anything wrong and no she shouldn't move out of her house on your say so.

Mirrormirrorotw Mon 23-Oct-17 08:56:00


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: