Talk

Advanced search

Shower valve - try to clean or replace?

(3 Posts)
NotMondayAgain Fri 20-Oct-17 13:46:15

Hi,
Sorry, this isn't the most interesting post but I'd like some advice as my shower is annoying me. We have a Triton Shower valve, a bit like this

Shower

Recently it's been really difficult to turn the handle round to start it up. It's quite awkward for me as I have a bad back and I have to really put a lot of effort in to turning the handle.

My local plumbers merchant have suggested that I try descaling it before buying another one but I can't work out how to unassemble it.

Would you bother to try to do this yourself at the risk of breaking it, get a plumber in to try to clean it (but maybe a waste of money if it turns out not to be limescale and just broken) or just get a new one fitted?

Thanks

PigletJohn Fri 20-Oct-17 14:19:42

so it's a mixer?

I've dismantled a few Miras, descaled and reassembled. You need an overhaul kit of new rubber seals, and some silicone grease, and polish up the internal parts with a green scouring pad. There are how-to-do it vids on Utube. I haven't tried a Triton.

On reflection, I think it's not worth the trouble. If you don't replace the seals, and use PTFE tape on screw-threads, they tend to leak afterwards.

The one in the pic is recessed into the wall, it is much easier to remove a surface-mounted shower. It may be difficult to reach the nuts if the wall was tiled after fitting.

diagrams the working parts look similar in concept to an Aqualisa, which is a better-quality mixer, and you can replace the cartridge (it costs about £80). You may be able to get a new cartridge for the Triton.

NotMondayAgain Fri 20-Oct-17 14:44:21

Thanks PigletJohn,

Yes it is a mixer but that is as far as my knowledge goes. On the basis that I can hardly understand anything you've said grin, I think that answers my question.
New valve..get a plumber!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now