Talk

Advanced search

Haven’t a clue about carpets, please help me

(5 Posts)
IDidContact Thu 19-Oct-17 16:40:16

I’ve never had to buy carpets before and I haven’t a clue where to start. Our new house has a new carpet on the stairs and hallway upstairs but the rest are horrible. I don’t know whether to recarpet the whole house so everything matches? Or try to match the other rooms to the hall \ stairs carpet? And what should be looking for when I go to a showroom? I really don’t have a clue

Lucisky Thu 19-Oct-17 22:36:14

Recarpeting the whole house would be v expensive.
It is really just a matter of having a good browse and chosing something that you like and suits your budget. I have found it is better to use local firms rather than the big chains as you get a better service. The shop will help you and come and measure up if required. They will calculate the cost for you. Always buy decent underlay too, it can make even a cheap carpet feel good.
If you have ever had a moth problem, steer away from wool carpets. Your doors may need easing if the new carpet is thicker. Some fitters will do this for an extra charge.
The worst thing about having new carpets is clearing rooms of furniture beforehand. Room sized remnants can often be had for bargain prices.
Just a few random thoughts for you. Hope it helps.

specialsubject Fri 20-Oct-17 12:16:02

The chap in our local store ( not the well known chain) said

- synthetic for ease of cleaning
- wool for long wear and spark proofing ( we have a long burner)
- go for mid price, super cheap not good, super expensive not that different .
- decent underlay a must

IDidContact Fri 20-Oct-17 20:16:10

Thank you both. A great help and a place to start

Tatlerer Fri 20-Oct-17 22:37:49

Hi OP. We're having to re-carpet an entire 6 bedroom house so I did lots of research on this! In the end I went for an 80/20 wool mix carpet, middle of the range price-wise. I ordered several free samples from onlinecarpets.co.uk and purchased from them also as it was £3 cheaper per square metre than our local supplier (and we needed 225 sq metres). I found a local, independent master fitter, who measured up, provided me with a shopping list of the cuts I needed to order and is supplying a good underlay, grippers, door bars etc when he fits. He also recommended a great local company who can tape a stair runner (I wanted the same carpet running up the stairs but with a linen edging on it). Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now