Talk

Advanced search

is this a reasonable quote for a kitchen?

(15 Posts)
Reasontobelieve Thu 19-Oct-17 08:22:10

I have been quoted £5426 for a fitted kitchen consisting of

1 narrow larder
1double oven
1 basic sink
Dishwasher
6 wall cupboards of assorted sizes
7 kitchen cupboards
1 drawer unit

This is from a well-known kitchen supplier that provides a 'trade discount'.

It seems quite high, so I have asked for a quote from another similar company (the builder who is doing my extension will only deal with two of them).

Just wondered whether anyone had obtained a quote for a similar kitchen and how it compared?

Baxdream Thu 19-Oct-17 08:42:15

I’m guessing this is howdens? Send your quote to diy kitchens then haggle haggle haggle!! There is definitely movement

randomthoughts Thu 19-Oct-17 08:48:54

Does this include fitting and worktops? If so I don't think it seems too bad. You could try pricing up at DIY kitchens to get a comparison...

We've just ordered our units from DIY kitchens and for £4,800 we have:
Wall units - 2 double, 2 single
Floor units - 2 sets of pan drawers, 2 double cupboards, 2 single cupboards with drawer, 2 narrow wire pullouts, one magic corner, one wine rack
Tall units - 1 wine rack, 1 pullout larder (300mm), oven housing, fridge freezer

I've bought appliances online, decent Franke sink from eBay, Blanco tap from eBay and worktops from a local supplier.

Ridingthegravytrain Thu 19-Oct-17 09:42:47

Also shop around for sink and dishwasher. I'm assuming howdens (if this is who you use) still have the Bosch oven sale on?

But otherwise sounds about right

Zhabr Thu 19-Oct-17 11:09:01

if it is Howdens it depends what range the kitchen units are. My kitchen was about £5500 for the units and installation, but it is the cheapeast range (Greenwich). Others are more expensive. My first quote with Howdens was with the appliances but then i have exluded them and bought everything separately. Howdens quote is comparable with Wickes and Ikea.

JoJoSM2 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:11:18

It's difficult to comment. For example, some dishwashers alone cost 1k whilst others £300. What quality are the units?

JungleExplorer Thu 19-Oct-17 13:51:15

I hate these places with a passion. So how much is this 600mm wide cabinet? Well it depends on who is buying it and how much of a discount we give to the builder and how much he gets to pocket from the deal.

ie the cabinet could cost £500, but we will sell it to your builder for £200, he will sell it to you for £300. But another builder will buy it for £300 and sell it to you for £350 etc etc.

I went and bought Ikea kitchen cabinets. This is the price tag, pay that at the till.

Price comparison wise I had a decor end panel for a larder unit but didn't need it. My kitchen fitter said I could take it back and get my £300 refund, I told him it was from Ikea and therefore £50. Same gloss finish on a chipboard panel.

rizlett Thu 19-Oct-17 13:59:46

Price it up on Ikea website then negotiate some extra to pay your builder for not using one of the only two suppliers he will use. hmm

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Thu 19-Oct-17 14:04:08

If that includes fitting then that's a good price. My mate is a kitchen fitter and he recommends Benchmarx for same quality as howdens for less money.

Reasontobelieve Thu 19-Oct-17 17:12:37

Sorry just catching up as have been at work. This doesn't include fitting but does include an island and a laminate work surface. It is Howdens Greenwich so not top of the range. Thanks for all your contributions!

YorkshireTea86 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:21:07

We just paid £3200 for kitchen from DIY Kitchens, included 2 corner base cabinets, 2 x 800 wide pan drawers, 1 x 600 wide pan drawers, 600 sink unit, 300 base unit, oven tower, made to order larder(600 wide x 400 deep), 3 double wall units and 8m of laminate worktop.
We sourced appliances, sink and tap separately and got them from various different shops because no one store had all the bits we wanted, came to about £1800.
So yes to me seems quite a lot.

Humptynumpty02 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:07:00

Yorkshire, tell me about the made to order larder units from DIY please. Are these bespoke, ie you can request any size? Are they listed on their site?

RedastheRose Fri 20-Oct-17 00:31:04

No comment to make on the cost of the units but I'd suggest 2 things.

1. Shop around for appliances as they are much cheaper if you do that and more importantly

2. Don't let your builder dictate to you! You're the client you set the parameters of the contract not him.

YorkshireTea86 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:21:27

@humpty I'm not sure if they can make any size, they are limited on door sizes i think, it was the depth that I had changed so 400mm instead of 300mm or 560mm. It was an additional £18 + vat. I just asked a question on one of their advice guide pages but you could email them.

Humptynumpty02 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:24:47

Great to know, many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now