Talk

Advanced search

Where to purchase electric sockets & switches

(11 Posts)
buckeejit Wed 18-Oct-17 22:43:43

My electrician seems to think screw fix is rubbish. Is there anywhere better to buy switches from? I want to pick & order switches myself. Cheers!

NotMeNoNo Wed 18-Oct-17 22:48:20

DH chose the MK sockets (with a sort of curved top) for our house, you can get them from Screwfix or electrical wholesalers. They are about as nice as you get in white plastic. Screwfix (now part of B&Q group?) seem to have gone a bit DIY but they aren't that bad.

Longdistance Wed 18-Oct-17 22:53:05

My Dh got them from Screwfix and took station. We’ve got a few switches, lights etc from both. Perfectly fine. Usually for trade people, but we’ve done loads to our house.

engineersthumb Wed 18-Oct-17 22:57:24

Toolstation stock mk and lap. Prices tend to be better than screwfix.

wheresmyphone Wed 18-Oct-17 23:00:38

agree about screwfit: all quite low budget: hunt out proper electrical supplier where the trade go: they will serve you too and they will have the best range.

Longdistance Wed 18-Oct-17 23:06:00

I think screwfix is owned by the same company as B&Q? I’m sure that’s what Dh said (?) don’t quote me..

PigletJohn Thu 19-Oct-17 00:34:40

have a look at the prices on a trade supplier like this

there will be one in your town, but it may be on an industrial estate down a muddy lane. They will have a few displays but not a showroom and will be very busy first thing and around 5pm

MK have a well-known name, but they have been trading on their reputation and reducing their quality for at least 20 years. They still look stylish but are not very good or easy to wire up. My own preference is for Crabtree or MEM but your electrician will have his own favourite and will know local suppliers. DIY sheds are not renowned for quality or value, they sell on price and flashy design.

buckeejit Thu 19-Oct-17 18:36:13

Thanks all - will have a look this eve and try to get the stuff ordered!

Humptynumpty02 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:28:09

You haven't really said what your looking for OP, eg white, chrome etc however we postponed our socket replacement project as we are waiting to begin a bigger extension but our electricians preferred socket right now are Hamilton Hartland if that helps. They look pretty decent from what I've seen and aren't bank breaking.

Svalberg Fri 20-Oct-17 09:13:19

I get all our domestic electrical stuff from TLC, as Piglet John suggests. Light bulbs are much cheaper!

buckeejit Fri 20-Oct-17 11:05:55

Thanks - am just after plain sockets and a couple of light switches - I though flat white metal but tbh I might just go for plastic. I normally want fancy wood or antique brass to match kitchen fittings but I think plain might be better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now