Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen dining table dilemma

(27 Posts)
Evie32 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:48:10

Hi everyone,

I need help desperately, we bought a house 6 months ago with cream gloss kitchen units with black granite counter tops and splasbacks. We were originally looking at a black gloss table but haven’t had much look on sourcing one. Neither of us like glass or wood so gloss is our only option, but I’m thinking cream but partner thinks white? Floors r beech wood, please help we are getting desperate!

wowfudge Wed 18-Oct-17 20:58:46

What about either or these 2?

wowfudge Wed 18-Oct-17 20:59:39

Alternatively, you could have a slab of granite made into a table.

Evie32 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:04:57

Thanks for taking the time to reply, we can’t agree on anything other than it needs to be gloss but it’s whether it’s cream or white and I don’t want white to look odd against the cupboards, thanks

Mosaic123 Thu 19-Oct-17 07:53:42

John lewis do granite tables to order. Or how about frosted glass?

whiskyowl Thu 19-Oct-17 08:52:12

What about something like marble? Lots of examples on Pinterest.

mando12345 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:05:33

I don't think white would work. I also think matt would like good with the gloss, not too matchy, matchy.
If you don't want wood or glass I think cream or black would work best.

Baxdream Thu 19-Oct-17 09:09:25

Personally I’d go for a metal/wood table.
What about these with eames chairs or similar?
m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-odyssey-6-8-seater-ceramic-top-extending-dining-table/p3275780

Or this?

Baxdream Thu 19-Oct-17 09:10:19

I wouldn’t go white if the cupboards are cream

JoJoSM2 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:13:21

I’d fear that switch a gloss table it would look too shiny and much prefer the othe suggestions made.

However, out of white and black gloss, the latter seems like lesser evil.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 19-Oct-17 09:13:39

I agree with you - white gloss would look odd with cream gloss units. I like the one that Baxdream has linked to.

SpunkinLatte Thu 19-Oct-17 09:22:29

This is a gloss white table from habitat. I don't think it would be right in your kitchen.
Personally I'd go for wood but It sounds as though you want sleek and modern. What about something like the second pic?

HotelEuphoria Thu 19-Oct-17 09:29:55

If the units are cream then a table can't be white. Don't Ikea have anything Glossi in cream or black, they are the champions of that type of finish/material.

Bluntness100 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:57:15

I agree, you can’t put white in there, it won’t look good.

If you want black gloss table just google black gloss table and chairs, there is tons of them available,

Lucisky Thu 19-Oct-17 13:31:21

Could you get a table in beech wood like your floor? I just wonder if a black table (along with your existing countertops) will suck the light out of the room.

QuitMoaning Thu 19-Oct-17 13:43:40

What about a statement colour that goes with cream? Navy or burgundy or something (I am rubbish at style and colours though)

Evie32 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:04:04

Thanks everyone, we need either cream or black I’m thinking but it needs to extend and I have googled and there doesn’t seem to be anything within out r budget (less than 600)

We have looked on google and nothing descent comes up sad

Doje Thu 19-Oct-17 14:07:29

This one from Next?

www.next.co.uk/g212870s5#719236

Cream to go with cabinets, wood to match the floor. Think it can come with chairs if you don't like the benches.

Doje Thu 19-Oct-17 14:08:50

Oh, that one doesn't extend, but they do a similar one that does. (I've been recently looking at kitchen tables myself - I'm not just a Next guru...)

SingingMySong Thu 19-Oct-17 14:27:09

I think it's crying out for wood I'm afraid. Definitely not white.

This sort of thing any good? black table

The other option is buy a smaller granite table and use a picnic table as an extension, with a cloth over.

SingingMySong Thu 19-Oct-17 14:33:15

wooden sorry but quite a modern vibe

Baxdream Thu 19-Oct-17 14:46:35

I agree it’s asking for quite a funky wood/metal table. White/black is too matchy matchy for me.
Why does it need to extend? Is this for daily use or for special occasions only ie Christmas/Easter etc?
We’ve had this same issue for our extension and we’re just going to have a cheap fold out table for emergencies or the kids can sit at the breakfast bar!

LifeIsLikeTetris Thu 19-Oct-17 14:57:29

I have a similar black and cream kitchen and had the same problem. We had a nice glass table, but it always looked smeared.

I ended up doing my own table to match. I had a big wooden table and I sanded it down, stained the top and painted the legs the same cream as the kitchen. I’d never done anything like that before and it took a while but it worked out ok.

SweetChickadee Thu 19-Oct-17 15:00:20

I think wood too, sorry. You have a lot of shiny surfaces already, needs something a bit more natural IMO

PinkTiger Thu 19-Oct-17 15:04:38

Won't a black gloss table look terrible quickly?

Scratches, finger prints and so on. You'll spend your whole life buffing!

Black ones here:

www.ligne-roset-westend.co.uk/dining/dining-tables/details-pages/details-daria-dining-table-black-extended.html

{This comes in black laquer - see spec info sheet - but isn't pictured)
www.ligne-roset-westend.co.uk/dining/dining-tables/details-pages/details-vilna-dining-table-extended.html

Picture of it in black here:

www.ligne-roset-westend.co.uk/dining/dining-tables/all-dining-tables.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now