Talk

Advanced search

White paint - the holy grail

(16 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Wed 18-Oct-17 14:22:08

Hello,

In anticipation of the completion of our kitchen extension, I'm in search of a good, durable (matt) white paint. Preferably one the has good coverage, as I'm painting the room myself.

Can anyone recommend a good white paint (white, not veering towards cream/magnolia at all)? Would a tub of one of the "builders paint" be fine?

Thank you!

Thanks!

TheFormidableMrsC Wed 18-Oct-17 14:30:40

Ooh, am posting for responses too. I am also looking for a good quality white to paint my interiors with (fed up of mag), a friend recommended Johnstones. Dulux are obviously the best choice but so expensive and I've got a 3 storey house so budget is important. I have always found Wilko's own paint to be pretty good, used the mag everywhere and it was really good, excellent coverage although very splattery I found. That's only £6 or 5L of white.

Move2yorkshire Wed 18-Oct-17 14:34:43

After trying about 10 testers for our new kitchen I have finally decided on f&b all white. All the others I tried were too grey or blue

riseandfall Wed 18-Oct-17 14:37:22

Farrow and Ball is such lovely paint but far more expensive than Dulux. I am using their Winterbourne White at the moment which isn't brilliant white more heading towards soft creamy old fashioned type white. Estate emulsion for an old house as water based for lime based walls.

mazylou Wed 18-Oct-17 14:40:40

Johnstone's Trade paints are excellent.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 18-Oct-17 14:43:57

Wow, lots of good replies already.

Thank you

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 18-Oct-17 14:45:19

How durable is the F&B paint? I love the chalky finish, but not sure if it will hold up well in the kitchen?

I am looking for slightly cooler white/bright white anyway, look forward to further replies.

Move2yorkshire Wed 18-Oct-17 15:23:12

They suggested we use modern emulsion not the estate emulsion. The kitchen isn't finished yet so I can't say how durable it is

Ollivander84 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:37:39

Dulux vinyl matt trade paint is good and easy to wipe. I like white cotton, it's definitely white but not stark

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 18-Oct-17 15:51:15

Brilliant, thank you both.

I am a fan of dulux. trade paint is the term is was looking for, thank you.

BringMeTea Wed 18-Oct-17 16:55:51

Just used Dulux White Cotton in kitchen. Colour is great, white with interest. I recently used Johnstone's trade (colour matched a Dulux colour) and was impressed.

suzyrut Wed 18-Oct-17 17:09:31

I can recommend Dulux super matt white. It is recommended for new plaster and it is absolutely amazing, have done my whole house in it (has all been replastered). It's very similar to F&B All White which I've used previously in that it is a pure white with none of the blue of brilliant white but cheaper!

I read about it on this blog...

rockmystyle.co.uk/finding-the-right-white-volume-two/

whiskyowl Wed 18-Oct-17 17:16:20

I have done a load of research on paints recently, helped by Mumsnet and various other forums frequented by decorators.

Many people recommended Dulux Trade Diamond. This is like a better version of the Dulux Easycare, which is the really tough, wipeable paint. The difference between the two comes down to opacity. The Easycare is designed for a DIY market of incompetent decorators, so it is bulked out with something called a "false body" which is basically a thickener that stops it dripping all over the place. The Trade Diamond has something called a "true body", which is a load of extra pigment that is added to increase opacity. A professional decorator should get a much better result with the latter.

You can get F&B colours mixed up in Dulux, though I'm not sure if they can do them in the Trade Diamond finish. I'm going for Jasmine White, which is similar to an F&B colour called James White. It has a greenish tinge, which picks up foliage very nicely.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 18-Oct-17 21:10:34

You lot are brilliant. Thank you so much for all of you feedback.

Will search a bit all the suggestions. Cross your fingers I choose well :-)

wonkylegs Wed 18-Oct-17 21:19:19

Dulux trade for all my paint.
I recommend it to my clients and specify it on my own house.
I've got brilliant white in my kitchen and bathrooms & the kids bedrooms and it's fab, wipeable and coverage is good even in my kitchen which was dark red and DS1s room which was dark purple when we moved in (the previous owners liked strong colours - one ceiling was orange)

riseandfall Thu 19-Oct-17 07:14:56

Yes sorry should have mentioned modern emulsion as well as estate emulsion. The modern would be better suited for the kitchen. The chalky finish is lovely on the estate one and we have had it in our sitting room for around 3/4 years now on a lime rendered wall and it is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now