Talk

Advanced search

Boiler buildings regs?

(14 Posts)
TheWeatherGirl1 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:40:16

Morning

We're having a new boiler fitted and I thought we needed some kind of buildings regs sign off but plumber says no.
Am I wrong?

butterfly56 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:08:35

OP I would ring the Building Regulations Dept at your local council to check whether you need a certificate from the Plumber.

johnd2 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:23:39

He should register it and give you the certificate directly. He needs to be gas Safe registered with the right card proving it.

johnd2 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:24:38

The above certificate is the commissioning one, I believe you will also get something in the post later saying it's been registered officially too. But someone else will confirm

pilates Wed 18-Oct-17 16:37:38

If the plumber is Gas Safe registered, he will contact Gas Safe with the details online and the Certificate will be issued by them direct to you.

specialsubject Wed 18-Oct-17 18:15:54

If he isn't gas safe registered, he is breaking the law and you could have a dangerous boiler.

TheWeatherGirl1 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:38:45

He is gas safe registered.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

specialsubject Wed 18-Oct-17 20:56:02

That's good. So why is he talking nonsense about registering the boiler?

pilates Wed 18-Oct-17 21:20:41

You can check with Gas Safe if he is registered. Some say they are when they aren’t.

randomthoughts Wed 18-Oct-17 22:12:56

Once a gas safe engineer registers an installation with gas safe, the council is notified and there will be a record of building regs approval on your local planning portal. Check your plumber is registered on the website. Not only is it unsafe but if the boiler isn't registered any warranty will be invalid.

BuzzKillington Wed 18-Oct-17 22:16:08

If he is gas safe registered, he can self certify under the competent persons scheme.

Check his registration as it's very specific as to exactly what fitters are qualified to install.

TheWeatherGirl1 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:04:41

I'm thinking /hoping he's legit as he's sort of a friend of the family.
I checked with him again and he mentioned registering the work and then we'd get a certificate so that sounds correct according to some of the above responses.

I'm always amazed by how much people on this website know. Your knowledge is invaluable so thanks again.

specialsubject Thu 19-Oct-17 18:16:02

Have you checked that he is actually on the gas safe register? Two minute job online.

Justanormalmummy Sat 21-Oct-17 19:18:05

Check he is registered on the gas safe register, it will either be his name or business name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now