Talk

Advanced search

Painting whole house - any problems with carpeting as we go?

(5 Posts)
user1479289699 Wed 18-Oct-17 09:24:08

We have recently bought a property which needs quite a bit of work. We've completed the painting in our bedroom, but the spare bedrooms and stairs, hall and landing still need doing. We're currently sleeping on the floor in the bedroom because don't want to set up the bed until the carpet's down, but couldn't do the carpet until the painting was done.

Our original plan was to finish the painting in the whole house, then get the carpets done, but the painting is taking much longer than we thought because all the walls need a white coat first (the original colours are very dark) and the ceilings need doing too. But we can't sleep on the floor much longer! My partner has a bad back, and the room is itchy and dusty no matter how much we hoover (there's no carpet on there at the mo, just old underlay)

We've spoken to our carpet guy who has said he can come out and fit the main bedroom carpet (the painting is complete in that room), and then come back when we've finished the painting to do the rest.

Is there anything we should be worried about by doing it this way? Obviously we'd need to be really careful stepping into the bedroom - no shoes or even indoor shoes! Anything else?

Another thing to note is that we don't have the budget to have the ensuite done yet. It's out of bounds but sometime in the next 6-9months we'll be getting that done. We'll need to get some really good dust sheets down on the bedroom carpet then!

Thanks

wowfudge Wed 18-Oct-17 09:50:32

You could always carpet the bedroom really cheaply and replace if needed once the ensuite is done. Or get a large rug. Have you mopped the floorboards in the room? It's a lot more effective at actually removing dust. What about sleeping in another bedroom temporarily and moving back to the master once everything is done?

Hs2Issue Wed 18-Oct-17 09:59:10

Useful tip i learned from a decorator seal the edges of the floor with sealent. It'll stop dust coming up and marking the edges of the carpet (our cream carpet never recovered from this despite cleaning).

Humptynumpty02 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:39:13

We did room by room, like you say it takes much longer to paint than you originally think. Haven't had any issues so not sure the problem you think there is to solve? We still have a bedroom and stairs to do.

user1479289699 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:08:18

Thanks all for the replies. The other bedrooms are in a bad state as there's still work going on in bathroom which is affecting the other bedrooms, and one bedroom has boxes of all our stuff!

I think we'll go ahead and just be really careful, I can't wait to be able to be barefoot on carpet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now