Advanced search

Removing name from title deeds

(7 Posts)
dancingqueen345 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:32:58

Hi, can anyone advise of the process in regards to removing one persons name from the title deeds of a property? Specifically whether a solicitor needs to be involved, and if so how much they would be likely to charge?

JoJoSM2 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:41:31

If you own the property jointly, doesn't the person need to give you their share to be removed? Just wondering but don't actually know. And imagine you'd need a solicitor.

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Tue 17-Oct-17 22:41:53

Is there a mortgage on the property? Procedure will differ with/without mortgage.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 17-Oct-17 22:51:58

You need to transfer the property into the name of the other owner. If there is a mortgage, then the mortgage company will need to agree. They will normally only do so if they are convinced that the other owner can pay the mortgage alone, which will require proof of income, and possibly a new mortgage offer which will have conditions to be complied with.
There may well be tax forms to complete and the new sole interest will need to be registered.
If there is no mortgage, it may be possible to do it without a solicitor, but that may not be advisable - it would depend on the reason for the transfer and any background agreements ( like debt/maintenance).
You should speak to a solicitor, set out the whole scenario, and then get a quote.

MiraiDevant Wed 18-Oct-17 17:19:07

As above. We did it, and hit a massive CGT problem as ex had been living in his own house for a while so it was a "second home"and he had to pay tax on the profit - even though there was no actual money changing hands. Not fair at ll but hey ho!

bimbobaggins Wed 18-Oct-17 19:24:52

It cost me £400 for a solicitor to do this, they need to contact the land registry.

Monkeybunkey Thu 19-Oct-17 13:39:11

I did this when I remortgaged to take my ex off the mortgage and deeds. As I was remortgaging, I had a solicitor anyway so they did it as part of the process. I'm pretty sure it was a TR1 form for the Land Registry that I had to complete. He also needed to confirm to my solicitor that he was happy for the transfer to go ahead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: