Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BTL a Regulated tennancy

(6 Posts)
gillybeanz Tue 17-Oct-17 14:53:48

Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have read what's available on Shelter and it only covers the tenant no info for buying one.

I would so love to buy one rather than a normal BTL and rake huge rental.
The regulated tenancy rents are lower and the vulnerable tenants are able to stay for the length of their lives.

Frouby Tue 17-Oct-17 15:01:25

Can you buy a normal btl property and rent it out at reasonable rates instead? And issue a longer AST?

Or look into whether you can issue an assured tenancy which is what councils and HA do. However I would proceed with caution. Once the tenant is in it would be very difficult to evict them. Plus it would make it very difficult to sell the property on.

If I won the lottery I would buy 10 properties and let them out on a not for profit basis with normal ASTs. So I wouldn't profit from the rent but would still retain some control over who lived in the property. So for instance if I had a 3 bed property I would let to a family who would maybe struggle to find a decent property to rent. But if that family went on to win the lottery or the family split and it was just a single person living there I would rather it went onto someone else struggling if you see what I mean.

TapStepBallChange Tue 17-Oct-17 20:57:31

I think the problem you will find is if you need to get a BTL mortgage, most of them require that you have an AST, and wouldn't allow a regulated tenant.

specialsubject Tue 17-Oct-17 21:33:33

The way to rake in a huge rental is not a normal btl. You need an illegal HMO stuffed full of people, no insurance, certificates or maintenance.

That's crime.

To do it legally will reduce your profits considerably.

And yes, with a pre 1989 tenant it is cash purchase only.

Shelter amuse me sometimes. They say that regulated tenants can only be evicted with a court order. That applies to all tenants!

gillybeanz Tue 17-Oct-17 22:49:59

I feel very strongly for those people in vulnerable positions and the lower rents attracted by these properties and the life long tenancy are a bonus to me.
It saves having to find new tenants when existing ones give notice.
I wouldn't be looking at a mortgage as would be buying cheap, due to area.
I'm looking at pre 1989, before laws changed.
or, something to support a young person out of care

Thanks for the replies. It's something I really want to do, I have googled and started to research, but obviously anybody who has gone down this route who had experience to share would be appreciated thanks

specialsubject Wed 18-Oct-17 11:35:57

someone who has such a property (which is unsaleable to most people) would probably be delighted to hear from you. I don't know how you find such places but best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now