Talk

Advanced search

Aaarrgh - help! Removing emulsion paint from sisal carpet

(7 Posts)
OddMollie Mon 16-Oct-17 16:08:09

I'm perfectly capable of painting a room, I thought. I don't need to pay a decorator. I will take a day off work and cunningly save much money.

Anyone know how to remove white emulsion from sisal flooring? I tried to soak the big splat off as soon as it happened but now there is a white stain the size of Australia in the middle of my bedroom. sad

PigletJohn Mon 16-Oct-17 16:17:31

meths will soften it. Mix it with WUL to slow down its evaporation. Brush it in well.

When soft, you can scrub it off. Do not allow it to dry or it will harden again.

OddMollie Mon 16-Oct-17 16:26:20

Thanks so much for replying PigletJohn! Don't think I have any meths in the house - do I need to get some or will white spirit or turps do the same thing?( I did actually wonder about using vodka, but thought I might end up drinking it and weeping....)

PigletJohn Mon 16-Oct-17 17:59:31

white sprit or turps don't work on emulsion. If it is fresh put a wet towel on it to prevent further hardening and buy meths as soon as you can. Vodka might work.

GrumpyOldBag Mon 16-Oct-17 18:00:36

Can you put the bed over it?

Or failing that, a rug?

WetDogLovesHubert Mon 16-Oct-17 18:03:18

Wallpaper steamer may get it up, surprisingly! Had this on a car seat, and it helped lift the paint.

OddMollie Mon 16-Oct-17 18:33:45

Thanks for the responses. I have vodka at the ready, but will also try my steam cleaner (I've been waiting to find a use for it for about 5 years!)
Sadly Grumpy, it's right in front of the wardrobe, in the really obvious strip of floor between that and the bed. I'm going to look into the excess on my insurance/no claims implication. Once I've finished with the vodka...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now