Talk

Advanced search

Can't get a fecking builder for love nor money

(9 Posts)
Dunzo Mon 16-Oct-17 14:48:19

I'm not sure where we are going wrong so maybe some (gentle) advice is needed.

We decided on some work we wanted done to the house and had a few local builders round. All made approving noises but most never provided a quote and it soon became apparent the work we wanted would require architects drawings, surveyors report and building warrant. One builder put us in touch with his architect and we went ahead. £1000 and 9 months later we got the building warrant approved.

The builder who put us in touch with the architect isn't responding to any contact and neither are the previous builders. I put the job on my builder website which we've had good success with before for wallpapering etc. Only got one response but he seemed keen. That was six weeks ago and he just ghosting me.

Wtf is happening? I am nice to them I promise! We don't have a particular timescale and we're not hugely demanding, quite happy to let them do as they please with the work.

The work btw is replacing one internal triple bifold, knocking down an internal wall to insert an RSJ and a double french door, partially knocking down and external wall and putting in a double french door (this requires a stonemason) then fitting a new floor throughout our basement level (the same level as the other works). So not a massive extension build or anything but not a piddly wee job either.

I'm just mystified. Any suggestions?

Titsywoo Mon 16-Oct-17 14:51:54

Sometimes you just find that builders only want the big jobs like extensions. Took us ages to find tradesman for smaller jobs but for our extension and loft conversion it was easy! Just keep looking and calling people. You'll get there in the end! Whereabouts are you? Might be able to get recommendations on here.

Dunzo Mon 16-Oct-17 14:54:09

Thanks. I'm in Fife in Scotland. It's just depressing because it is going to cost a lot of money (to us, maybe not a builder who is doing a £50k extension) and we are keen to get it moving, especially with baby number 2 on the way.

MiaowTheCat Mon 16-Oct-17 18:26:39

Only reason we haven't got problems getting one is he lives next door! Also comes in very handy for finding other trades as he invariably has a mate he knows who is X Y or Z in his phonebook! Living in a blue collar neighbourhood has its advantages - the kitchen fitter lives out the back, plumber round the corner and painter and decorator over the street!

gruffalocake2 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:50:31

We've had this too, had a builder booked in even and he just never turned up and stopped answering the phone. It's £20k small project but I guess with everyone staying put these days they don't need to do this kind of thing and are just going for the big jobs. We're struggling to find people to even come and quote now, its so frustrating.

Ifailed Tue 17-Oct-17 07:56:36

There is a shortage of trained tradespeople (which will only get worse as E Europeans leave), so they can pick and choose jobs and I'm afraid 'small' jobs, especially ones that may involve a lot of travel are far less lucrative than larger, nearer ones. You may find if you offer to cover travel time you may have more success?

AgentProvocateur Tue 17-Oct-17 08:20:15

Ask your architect to recommend one. They'll know of a few, and their reputation

Whitewhine89 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:29:23

Try MAMB based in W. Lothian - this is just the type of work they do & my neighbours extension was finished to a really high standard. Builders are so busy just now as less people moving house & improve their existing homes. Good luck!

Dunzo Tue 17-Oct-17 08:42:27

Thanks for the replies. We need more skilled tradespeople. Good news though, the ghost builder has reappeared with a quote so that's progress and someone is coming tonight as well so things are looking up. smile maybe baby number 2 won't have to ensure our horrible dark living room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now