Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom jenga help!

(10 Posts)
Lucylanz Mon 16-Oct-17 14:23:10

We have recently bought our first home, and although we are delighted with the house, the bathroom has turned out to be a disaster. It has a very large wide stairbox/bulkhead/wedge in one corner (that we didn't see during the busy open day) and a boiler in the other corner. It's a new boiler so have been advised to leave it.
We have a budget for a new bathroom luckily but we are really struggling with ideas to fit everything together that won't make it feel cramped. We need a shower (rather than our current bath with hand held hose) and bath. Can anyone come up with a better idea than the current proposal below? I'm worried it will make our small bathroom appear smaller? Would you rather a small better formed bathroom or a more space but impractical bathroom?

Lucylanz Mon 16-Oct-17 14:24:05

I obviously mean Tetris rather than jenga!

KakunaRattata Mon 16-Oct-17 14:28:12

Without dimensions of the space it's really hard to comment. Also what's the size of the bulkhead and how high is the boiler up the wall?

Lucylanz Mon 16-Oct-17 14:55:10

Thanks for replying - have measurements in diagram below. The boiler is about 1 metre off the ground.

KakunaRattata Mon 16-Oct-17 15:21:03

What a daft idea putting the boiler there! Would you not have a bath with decent shower over or do you definitely want separate? How high is the bulkhead? Is there scope for the sink going on top or is it too big for that to be practical?

KakunaRattata Mon 16-Oct-17 15:22:09

If it was mine I would look at relocating the boiler, but then I know people who could do it at a reasonable price.

Lucylanz Mon 16-Oct-17 15:36:28

A shower over the bath is definitely what we are looking at - no other option really. Might ask around to see if anyone knows a tradesman to move the boiler - hard without knowing contacts really. We have a builder in the family but he lives miles away and just said to avoid moving boilers unless it needs replacing. I agree it's position is a bit boggling (as was the decision to paint around their furniture - but that's another story).

isthistoonosy Mon 16-Oct-17 15:44:17

In your second diagram could the sink go over the bulkhead abd the toilet where the sink was?

KakunaRattata Mon 16-Oct-17 15:49:24

It's worth asking how much it would be to move before you commit yourself to anything else. Moving to the toilet to the other wall means making bigger changes to the waste so whilst that's less of a faff, it's still a consideration.

KakunaRattata Mon 16-Oct-17 15:55:58

As a bathroom is such a big expense and you've just bought it, I wouldn't try to make do. Would you consider linking or sending the property details?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now