Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have thermaskirt or similar (skirting heaters/radiators)?

(10 Posts)
PlateOfBiscuits Mon 16-Oct-17 10:38:50

We're in the midst of having a kitchen fitted and to maximise space want to remove the radiator.

BUT I don't want to be left with a chilly kitchen so am looking into different heating options:
1) underfloor heating would be difficult as the floors are the original wooden ones.
2) plinth heaters are an option but l really don't love the aesthetic and it would still leave the dining area unheated.

Which leads to...
3) Heated skirtings. (Currently looking at Thermaskirt.)

Has anyone got any experience/advice/opinions?

cloughie100 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:51:18

we have heated skirtings upstairs - new end of last winter so havent really be tested to the max yet - what do you want to know?

PlateOfBiscuits Tue 17-Oct-17 09:12:31

Thank cloughie. Are you happy with them so far? What kind of system did you use?

PigletJohn Tue 17-Oct-17 15:06:55

be aware that some of the claims on their website are untrue.

PlateOfBiscuits Tue 17-Oct-17 17:41:48

Thanks PigletJohn I appreciate your words of warning.

I’ve been doing my calculations this afternoon and I can’t quite see that the output will be able to heat the room anyway. (AND it would cost about about grand.)

I’m really struggling to fit a radiator in though!!

johnd2 Wed 18-Oct-17 05:45:12

I looked a that too and would struggle to get the output needed, but the clincher for me was the cost, when I looked up the cost of a 300 high by 1800 wide radiator, I decided to buy 3 of those to go on the outside walls of the room instead.
If we blocky them with furniture then it doesn't matter as the are three of them anyway.

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 18-Oct-17 08:00:52

Yes - the cost is huge compared to a radiator!

I just can’t figure out where to put one when the walls will either be table/chairs or kitchen units.

johnd2 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:36:59

If you have units then just go for a plinth heater.
Cost is about 150 for the unit, and it has a fan that kicks out loads of heat and connects to your boiler via the normal twin pipes. We are having one in the kitchen, one in the hallway, and one in the bathroom.
They do make a little noise but only similar to a fridge, not as much as a dishwasher or fan oven.

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 18-Oct-17 10:49:40

I ruled out plinth heaters because I don’t love the way they look (the grills look like dust traps.) Have you found some nice looking ones?

I also ruled them out because there’s an island separating the dining table and I can’t imagine the heat making its way over there? I don’t want to be cold while I’m eating!

But happy to be wrong.

johnd2 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:27:29

Oh I'm putting ours in the island anyway under the sink unit. Although it'll be facing the kitchen side as the dining side will have a normal radiator.
There shouldn't be too much dust, if it ever gets clogged you could get it cleaned out but it'll be ok for a good while.
If you really want a good look then ufh is the only way to go. The skirting heating is more bulky than standard skirting so check the dimensions first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now