Talk

Advanced search

Moving from Lon to Royal Tunbridge Wells

(24 Posts)
ParisLondon Sun 15-Oct-17 21:55:56

Hi Everyone,

I'm desperate for some advice ..
My husband has been going on n on n on for 6 years to move to Tunbridge Wells but I'm born n bred in London (quite central) and have lived / worked went to uni and have done everything in London. I met my husband in the city too where we both still work ..
his from East Sussex originally and has been living in London just over 7 years now ( he absolutely hates it - his a country boy at heart )
The trouble is ever since we met 6 years ago his talked about moving to Tunbridge Wells and recently (over the past 6 months ) his been talking about it non stop to the point that it's going to be a deal breaker in our relationship..

We've visited the area loads of times and on the surface I like it but I'm so scared to make this move from London, the city that I know like the back of my hand and endless of places I can go to without it feeling repetitive to a town that I don't know at all...

I've read some horror stories online n read some amazing ones too .. I'm soooo confused ... we don't have any children.

I do love the Pantiles area and the high street. The houses look amazing too... I've read about the great schools n grammar schools..

But I'm reaching out to everyone to please give me some open honest advice..

What can I expect? What are the people like ? How would I meet new / make new friends? Which end of the high street is best ?

Has anyone made this move from london and how did they find it?

We both still work in the city and will be commuting daily to London , how are the train links to London- are there delays often? Do you get a seat?

Thank you all, if anyone can give any advice it would mean a lot xxxxxxxx

JoJoSM2 Mon 16-Oct-17 00:05:38

It sounds like he’s insisting on moving to the Arctic and not a few stops on the train smile

It’ll probably be different but you’ll get used to it and hopefully appreciate the positives.

I don’t live in Tunbridge Wells but when we moved from zone 2 to 5, it was a big of culture shock at first but quickly got used to it and now much prefer it.

Izzy24 Mon 16-Oct-17 00:12:39

I think it’s as much about you than the place you move to.

If you’re generally friendly I think you will find the area generally friendly too.

Panicmode1 Mon 16-Oct-17 06:06:25

We made the move to TW 10 years ago....and its been great. It's a very well trodden path so your neighbours are as likely to be 'expat' Londoners as locals! Loads going on, but close enough to meet friends in London, or go to the theatre and get home on the last train.....

mamamalt Mon 16-Oct-17 06:40:35

I used to live in TW and loved it! I lived right in the centre of town with my own little flat so could go out all the time and my rent was like NOTHING! Plus I spend most weekends in London as the train is ridiculously handy.
I moved from there to Ealing then Camden and actually wish I had stayed put. I could enjoy London much more from there as not being crippled by living costs.
However! We have a DS now so our lives have changed so much London holds little appeal to us anymore. If we didn’t have children I don’t know if I would move away at all!

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 16-Oct-17 13:23:51

My ex (when we were still together) moved to Tunbridge Wells. I quite liked it but I wasn't a huge fan of the train commute into London. He'd previously lived in East Grinstead and I preferred the commute from there (strangely enough).

I live in east/central London but travel to Tunbridge Wells every Sun for my voluntary job. What I always notice the most is how very white Tunbridge Wells is! And how polite and well spoken everyone is. A trip to Sainsburys in Tunbridge Wells is poles apart from the one in Whitechapel. shock I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just as a Londoner it's a real shock to be surrounded by white faces who all appear to be much better educated and well spoken than me. blush

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 21:55:04

@HundredMilesAnHour thank you fir your message and the points.. interesting observation:-) I’m actually British Persian and my Husband is English .. the few times we’ve been there I’ve never felt awkward or anything at all .. but as I’ve never lived outside of London and not really a social media person (I don’t have facebook ok instagram or twitter etc ) im scared on how ill integrate and make new friends .. maybe I’ll join Yoga every Saturdays but even that might not be enough to build friendships.. (maybe I’m over thinking this ..)
But I completely know what u mean .. living in London you pick up on these things as it’s so diverse and when you go outside to a town that isn’t as diverse as London you do certainly notice it .. not necessarily a bad thing at all x

I’m also really concerned about how tired I’ll be commuting.. fastest trains are normally nearly an hour to get into London then the additional commute to get to the office.

Would you recommend any parts near the high street / station or Pantiles area to avoid when looking at houses / flats or would recommend to be good..

Thanks a million xx

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:01:05

@mamamalt
Hiii.. omg you actually lived there .. wow ..
can I possibly ask you which end of the high street do you prefer.. near the Pantiles or the shopping centre ?
I’ve read some really conflicting reviews that’s making me super confused ...
how did you find the commute back n forth ? Was it tiring?

Are you still in London ? Would you move back there (TW) with your family?

BumbleNova Tue 17-Oct-17 22:01:29

We did the move from London to T wells about a year ago. Bloody love it. I commute and it's fine.

Could you rent and try it? We did before we bought and it helped because we hadn't committed to yet.

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:07:55

@BumbleNova hiiiii ..
I literally just saw your message..
It would be super expensive to rent in TW whilst we try n sell out london flat as we need to cover mortgage, rent and travel cost ..
but renting in TW is something my husband has suggested which sounds like a good idea.

I keep asking every the same thing but can you share your honest truth about which end of the town is better.. (I’m sure all of it is brilliant- it certainly looks good all over ) but why do I keep ready mixed messages about the upper end of the high street compared to the lower end near the Pantiles ?
Where would u recommend?

I’m getting nervous and excited now.. in a way I feel like I just need to dive in the ocean n do it .. 🙈🙈🙈😂😂😂

BumbleNova Tue 17-Oct-17 22:10:03

Ill PM you!

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:16:46

@JoJoSM2 omg you are so funny .. moved from zone 2 to zone 5 n it was a shock 😂

I do understand what you mean .. if you live so central then move even a little out it is much different let alone moving out of London completely 🙈

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:24:15

@Izzy24 very true..
I’m super friendly and very sociable and that’s why I’m really nervous to make this move as I’m always meeting my friends after work for dinner or coffee drinks ..
I may need to start creating Facebook instgram n Twitter accounts just to see if I joking a new local groups activists if we make the move but.. I don’t know!
moving so far out might mean I might have to skip a few drinks after work unless I want to sleep at my mums ..

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:27:59

@Panicmode1 hi thank you fir your message.. wow 10 years is a long time .. if I was to commute every now n then to get into London for drinks n meet friends the commute wouldn’t scare me but as I need to do it on a regular basis for work that’s frightening.. I already get tired commuting in London using the underground ..

Can I ask if you can advise on any areas to avoid (if any) where would you say is great and which area(s) not so much ?

ParisLondon Tue 17-Oct-17 22:35:33

@BumbleNova great thank youuuu 😁
I don’t want to sound silly but im new to the site etc .. will I get an email once you’ve messaged me or will it show here (on the app ) that I’ve got a message?

HundredMilesAnHour Tue 17-Oct-17 22:55:05

ParisLondon try not to worry so much! Your move will be fine. If you can afford it, it would make sense to rent first to get an idea of which areas you like best. You seem very focused on the high street/Pantiles....you know there's a lot more to Tunbridge Wells than one street wink. Obviously the less centrally you live, the more you'll get for your money. Although maybe not much more as prices have really jumped in the last few years. I've considered buying a weekend cottage in the area (I work every Sun at a wildlife hospital nearby) but the prices have put me off. blush

I find people are generally friendly and polite. Isn't everywhere friendly and polite after London? wink I'm sure if you take up a hobby in the town, you'll quickly make new friends.

ParisLondon Wed 18-Oct-17 08:54:15

@HundredMilesAnHour sorry I should have explained.. the reason why we’re focusing around the centre of town is bcoz we want to be within walking distance to the train station as we’ll be commuting daily .. that’s all .. but unfortunately that then limits us .. x

Panicmode1 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:52:46

You can walk to High Brooms station from lots of other parts of TW. My DH walks or Bromptons to the station and back from St Johns. It then means we have the schools on our doorstep, as well as the leisure centre, can walk into town, to the park, and even into open countryside within 10 minutes of my front door. Don't be scared to move away from the 'Village'!! You would certainly get more for your money.

mamamalt Thu 19-Oct-17 09:19:16

Hi!! I’m so sorry for the delayed reply! We are in Ireland visiting my PIL.
Anyway! I lived up at the top of the hill in the centre of town and found that absolutely perfect. There is probably more scope for renting that end than the pantilles but maybe not!
As for which I would prefer I would say the town end but that’s just because I lived there. It would prob take you ten mins to walk down to the pantilles so I’m not sure it’s as big a deal as you’re thinking!
Maybe just view a few flats in both locations and take it from there?! It depends what you’re after. Pantilles is beautiful though and an amazing spot for eating and outdoor music and everything!
Don’t worry about making friends. I made more friends in Tunny wells than I ever have living in London. grin
I wouldn’t recommend High Brooms. Commuted to there from Sevenoaks and worked near to HB station and it’s not a patch on TW. There is little there and you wouldn’t like it coming from London. Living in the town is affordable and I would definitely recommend it!

mamamalt Thu 19-Oct-17 09:21:09

Ps we are still in London and fed up of it. Moving back here to galway at Christmas! So a terrifying move for me too!wink

Panicmode1 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:03:51

Wasn't recommending living in HB, but making the point that you can get to the station easily from other parts of TW... There is more to the town than the Pantiles and the Village wink

Izzy24 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:52:05

St Johns/Queens Road walking distance and bussable to TW Centeal and H Brooms stations.

ParisLondon Fri 20-Oct-17 14:42:43

Thank you allllll.. ❤️ for your suggestions ...
the only reason why in my head I wanted to limit the locations to town centre is I didnt want it to be tooo much of a shock to my system moving away from central London busy location etc etc to somewhere on the other end of the spectrum., and also walking distance to the station.
We’re viewing some rentals tomorrow (as suggested by some 🙂) so I can get a taster before we commit on buying ..
I’ll let everyone know on how my day goes tomorrow...

I’m getting excited now not nervous .. thanks to your lovely advise and suggestions it has really helped ❤️ xxxxxx

Izzy24 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:29:26

How did it go OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now