Talk

Advanced search

Moving Existing boiler

(14 Posts)
kedy Sun 15-Oct-17 20:59:30

Hi, our plumber asked us 2500 to move a boiler from understairs to
The kitchen, 2 meters in total. This is not a new boiler we r only moving it. Is this a normal cost??

SpearmintTea Mon 16-Oct-17 15:11:57

We paid £1500 to move ours as part of a larger job. He quoted separately so we could decide if we should just do the rest of the job without moving the boiler.

kedy Mon 16-Oct-17 19:15:22

Thank you SpearmintTea. 1500 seems more reasonable. Anyone else?

glitterbean Mon 16-Oct-17 19:31:35

We paid £2400 to get ours moved from the kitchen to an upstairs cupboard but that included the cost of brand new Worcester combi boiler which I think was the best part of £1000

That seems very high just to move it; did he mention that boilers frequently don't survive being moved? We had to take ours off the wall and have it remounted as part of a massive renovation and we were warned that although it wasn't old it might not survive. It did, but it only lasted another year afterwards.

We had to have all of the pipework leading to the boiler rerouted (we converted a garage, pipes used to run along the walls and had to be moved under the floor, so easily more impact than moving 2m IYSWIM) and that was £1200

78Indigo Mon 16-Oct-17 21:50:19

That seems an extremely high quote. Is this London by any chance?

parkview094 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:31:29

We're in Surrey. I had 3 quotes to move our boiler to exactly the same location, just 1 floor down. All quotes were over £2500. We decided not to go ahead with the work given the price and are building a cupboard around it's existing location instead.

The itemised list of work provided by one of the quotes was:

• Remove existing Worcester boiler, flue pipe, circulating pump, expansion vessel & heating motorised valve and set aside for re-use.
• Refit boiler in ground floor utility room, adjacent external wall, with new flue pipe through side wall.
• Install new pipework from boiler to existing pipes within stud wall opposite boiler. Separate pipework so that the two pipes going up will feed the primary hot water circuit and the two pipes going down feed the heating circuit.
• Refit expansion vessel, circulating pump, Magnaclean filter and heating motorized valve adjacent boiler.
• Alter heating pipework from bathroom radiator to connect to primary pipes adjacent to boiler.
• Run new gas supply from external meter, through wall into utility room and connect to boiler.
• Supply condense pipe from boiler, drop to low level, through external wall and discharge into existing gulley.
• Supply safety discharge pipe from boiler through external wall and terminate against wall.
• Remove/alter external waste pipes & hopper to suit new flue pipe installation.

kedy Sun 22-Oct-17 18:35:38

we live in cambridge - so expensive for some, not for others.

StatisticallyChallenged no it doesn't include a new boiler, i didnt know boilers have a low survival rate when they are moved! That would make it even more expensive. The same guy quoted us 10,000 to install a cloak room (from which the boiler is moving) so, just to install a cloakroom will cost us, about 13-14K if i cost in the toilet, sink and flooring. it's so expensive!

SilverSpot Sun 22-Oct-17 18:44:26

PAId a grand to move mine 10 years ago

SilverSpot Sun 22-Oct-17 18:45:46

Get another quote

LurkingQuietly Sun 22-Oct-17 19:05:42

Too much. I am in Greater London and paid £5k 3 years ago to have a boiler moved from ground floor to loft, new combi boiler, turning the central heating from a single pipe system to a dual pipe system and all new rads in our 3 bed house. Get another quote.

OK that's super crazy cash!

I'm in Edinburgh (which is not very cheap at all!) and we did our big project about 4 years ago:

-fully converted a garage to become a living room in a period property, including full timber sash windows, new front, shitloads of insulation (council are very picky!), floor leveling and relocating all of the pipes from the walls to under the floor, plus full electrics
-turning an old utility room in to a kitchen, including raising the floor, oak flooring, fresh plasterboard and plastering, boiler being taken off the wall, moved up, new core drilled, reinstalled
-brand new kitchen
-upstairs room ripped out (was a livingroom and kitchen), pipes moved, new wall built, cornicing replaced, stone fireplace removed, electrics, partial replastering...
-bathroom wall taken down, whole bathroom ripped out, new bathroom installed (including totally relocating the bath from one end of the room to the other, expensive tiling, jacuzzi bath)
-downstairs cloakroom refitted

plus various other odds and ends

Total cost was about £37k by the end of it. £14k for a cloakroom and moving the boiler seems insane by comparison even allowing for inflation.

ApplesTheHare Sun 22-Oct-17 19:14:59

Did you get an itemised quote or ask them to explain the cost? 'Just' moving a boiler can be a huge job depending on how your plumbing is sat. My dad moved our boiler once when I was young (he was a proper heating engineer grin) and I was amazed by how much work was involved.

As others have said though it's definitely worth getting another quote but I'd also ask your plumber to explain what you'd be getting for that money. Tell them you're not being funny, just have no idea what's involved.

kedy Sun 22-Oct-17 20:56:13

Thank you all - yes i think i'll be calling another builder tomorrow first thing! It did sound insane, but just wanted to check...will also ask for an itemised bill next time. statically challenged, that sounds like a big project! hope it went well, we are also think of installing new kitchen and redoing the bathroom. afraid to ask for the quotes of those now :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now