Talk

Advanced search

Do you have navy sofas?

(23 Posts)
sharperpencil Sun 15-Oct-17 20:29:08

I've got a yearning for navy velvet. DH thinks it'll show every spec, dog hair, dust and will be too dark.
It's not a tiny room but not enormous.
Am I faddy?

dun1urkin Sun 15-Oct-17 20:39:25

We've got navy, without my more adventurous DH I would have got grey or beige. I love them.
The ginger and white cat hairs look absolutely great on them grin

sharperpencil Sun 15-Oct-17 20:42:42

Thanks dun, are the cat hairs really noticeable?

dun1urkin Sun 15-Oct-17 20:44:53

No, not really. I run over them with the vac once a week and that keeps them in a satisfactory condition.
They aren't 'solid' navy and I think that helps. I'll attach a pic, hang on

dun1urkin Sun 15-Oct-17 20:47:44

Not great colour reproduction, but you get the idea of what the weave of the fabric is like

sharperpencil Sun 15-Oct-17 20:54:37

Really lovely, did you hoover it before taking a photo wink?
Thanks, I think I might go for it.

dun1urkin Sun 15-Oct-17 20:57:49

Ha, no that's three days post hoovering...
I'm so pleased with them (had them about 5 years now) and haven't once regretted getting blue instead of greige!!

seven201 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:04:06

I wouldn't go for navy velvet if you've got hairy pets around. We have a navy sofa but it's got a texture to it and we don't have pets so we don't have any dirt showing issues.

Mrsladybirdface Sun 15-Oct-17 21:04:51

I have dark blue and it doesn't really show up any dirt

CallMeDollFace Sun 15-Oct-17 21:05:10

We used to have but I got rid of them because the dog hair drove me mad. Not want you want to hear I know, sorry.

Orangebird69 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:40:02

I've got a navy sofa and 5 cats (all of which are at least half white). I vacuum every day and it's not too bad.

ohanabanana Mon 16-Oct-17 19:20:38

I've got a dark blue one, it looked navy in the shop but it's not quite as dark once I got it in situ. It get loads of compliments, I think it looks a bit different to the black/grey/brown sofas that most people have. Doesn't show much dirt but I haven't got pets.

Joinourclub Mon 16-Oct-17 21:21:29

Now I want a navy sofa ...

7Days Mon 16-Oct-17 21:26:20

I'd stay away from the velvet but deep blue sofas in a kind of woven fabric sounds lovely and practical.
I feel your pain I wanted midnight blue velvet when we moved in first. Compromised with cheap greige Argos beauties til we could afford better. 12 years later, a dog, 2 (potty trained) children and the bastards are still going strong.

curcur Mon 16-Oct-17 21:28:05

We’ve got a dark blue brushed cotton and a mustard linen sofa in the same room. I loved the mustard one but it is unforgiving on marks and the dark blue is much more practical. Yes it gets dust but can easily be hoovered off.

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Oct-17 21:57:47

Here's mine - purple velvet not navy, but similar colour group. One of my cats modelling it obligingly. It doesnt seem to grab cat hair more than plain cotton tbh, and the cats don't scratch it. Apparently it doesnt feel good on the claws. It's so cosy and comfy.

Yazoop Tue 17-Oct-17 00:11:55

I've got a dark blue velvet chesterfield style sofa. It's probably our most beautiful piece of furniture. I adore it but you do have to keep on top of the dust removal! We've got a special brush for it plus a sticky roller thing to pick up lint. Not sure it is a pet friendly purchase - we don't have any pets at the moment. Can imagine our velvet sofa picking up lots of hair from a dog/cat, but would depend on the actual type of velvet used I guess.

Yazoop Tue 17-Oct-17 00:18:04

It's this style but dark blue / navy velvet instead of purple. Our room is not particularly big and it is just right. Ridiculously comfy too! The only real negative is that it needs a little more tlc than a regular sofa, primarily keeping dust and lint off - but nothing too strenuous grin

LazySusan11 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:09:04

Yazoop that is a lovely sofa, would you mind saying where you bought it?

Yazoop Tue 17-Oct-17 08:59:53

Of course, it is from Arlo & Jacob. They are mostly online but they also have a store in west London.

User5trillion Tue 17-Oct-17 09:05:16

I really want a navy velvet sofa... no pets but grubby children. We currently have one grey sofa and one beige-brown sofa and as soon as money allows they are going back to the charity shop they came from. Some lovely sofas on this thread

peppykoala Tue 17-Oct-17 09:28:13

Yes, I love my navy velvet sofa so much! Light room & bright cushions so not too dark.

It does show dirt & I would expect pet hair (I have a blanket that goes over mine when my mum's dog visits as his hair goes everywhere), but I just brush it off & hoover - at least I know the sofa is always clean!

LazySusan11 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:07:26

Thank you yazoop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now