Advanced search

Landlord and repairs

(7 Posts)
Ladycsparkles Sun 15-Oct-17 16:07:24

I'm hoping someone can advise me as I'm having an issue with repairs that need doing.

I moved into my current property 6 months ago, one of the huge selling points for me was that it had a walk in shower which in short, doesn't work. LL has sent repair man out several times to have a look as its now randomly leaking through the ceiling and has been on and off for months now- every time the maintenance man has been out he says it needs replacing, he took one of the knobs off one time and that's it.
Apparently she is reluctant to do anything because of previous tenants causing damage to the floor by not keeping the door shut. While I appreciate that, its not my problem? I've asked that if its not being replaced can it be shut off as its still intermittently leaking which is what is causing water to come through the ceiling and I'm getting no reasonable response. The bottom of the shower (the bit you stand on, I can't think of what it's called!) has gone moldy and I can't clean it because the sealant has worn away all the way round and I don't want to make the leak worse, its now starting to smell AND the water has now started to go into the boiler cupboard which is next to the shower.

I feel like I'm going round in circles, someone comes out, assures me stuff will be done, goes away again until I call again to say its leaking.

Surely its causing more damage to their property by not doing the repairs? I don't know anything about structures etc but leaks can't be good.

I'm not quite sure what to do- I'm not in a position to move so I don't want to come across as difficult and risk losing my tenancy.

Any advice would be great.

venys Sun 15-Oct-17 16:56:09

Do you contact the LL directly or is it through an agency? Sometimes some of these handymen are next to useless and the LL might be none the wiser. You will need to explain to either LL or agency that it still hasn't been fixed, take photos to show what you mean. Ask if their buildings insurance includes escape of water and whether they can make a proper claim. Its possible that walls and ceilings will need to be taken apart to fix it properly so it might be bigger than you all expect. You may have to live with no bathroom while it's being fixed. Nothing is straight forward with property that's for sure.

Ladycsparkles Sun 15-Oct-17 17:07:41

Venys thank you for your reply- this is what I'm worried about, that the repairs might actually be bigger than we realise and then the ll will just refuse point blank to do anything or even worse, blame me for any damage.

I go through an agent- I actually have no idea who owns the house, my agreement is with the agent.

I'll take some photos today and email them across. From what the neighbors have said to me the actual LL is very reluctant to do any repairs but obviously this is hearsay.

Living with no bathroom would be a pain but not impossible- I have friends in the same street who I am sure would lend us the use of a toilet/bath if needs be.

wowfudge Sun 15-Oct-17 17:29:58

Your agreement is with the landlord despite your only contact being with the agent. The landlord is responsible for the landlord's obligations in the tenancy agreement. Under section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act, you are entitled to contact details for the LL - and that doesn't mean going via the agents, whatever they might tell you. The agent has 28 days to provide you with them. Bugger not wanting to be seen as difficult, the issue isn't getting resolved, you aren't responsible for the water damage and a functioning bathroom should be available for your use. Write a list of all the contact over the shower, including plumber visits, take photos to show the state of things and send this to the landlord with cc to the agents and request that it is sorted out once and for all. If the LL won't fix it, stop lining this charlatan's pockets with your hard earned cash and move.

Ladycsparkles Sun 15-Oct-17 17:38:09

Wowfudge thank you. I will request the landlords contact details.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to move.

I'm past caring on whether I have a working shower now as we still have a bath, I just want the leak sorted and it all made good so I can clean it etc

venys Sun 15-Oct-17 21:30:32

I have been landlord, tenant, and owner of a house in need of repair. So have seen a fair bit. I know that the handymen employed by the agencies will often do the bare minimum. I guess they need to keep things cheap for the LL/agency. I saw some right plonkers coming into our aged townhouse that we rented. Time for the big guns me thinks. Good luck - and if you have the photographic evidence of the shoddy work, I don't think you will be seen as troublesome.

whataboutbob Sun 15-Oct-17 21:53:12

Like Venys I've been a tenant, and a landlord and had to find out the hard way about tackling necessary repairs. Botch merchant builders installed a shower with leaky pipe work, causing water to flow into the flat downstairs and the tenants to be without any way to wash for 3 weeks, i paid them compensation for that and had a new shower unit fitted .
It sounds like your LL does not want to grasp that nasty nettle.
I also agree the handymen employed by agents can be useless. they are there to maximise agency's profits by charging the landlord as much as poss (more than other tradesmen usually) and usually do a mediocre job at best.
If you have to live with no bathroom for a while you are entitled to compensation for that period.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: