Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving an internal wall

(7 Posts)
hollydaytime Sun 15-Oct-17 07:48:21

We are currently house hunting and have found a perfect detached 3 bedroom property that ticks all the boxes except the size of the 3rd bedroom - it is a box room.

The 2nd bedroom is a good size and the layout is such that the 2nd and 3rd bedroom share a wall. I was thinking it may be possible to rip out the dividing wall and move it a couple of feet into the 2nd bedroom (if that makes sense) to even out the size of the bedrooms a bit.

Does that sound possible? Has anyone any experience in doing something like that? Any idea of costs?

The dividing wall is about 8”9 and there aren’t any radiators on it. Thanks

YourDandDaddy Sun 15-Oct-17 08:03:33

Should be pretty straight forward. Have you checked on the floor plan it will be possible? Sometimes there is a window or other issue preventing you doing this simply

hollydaytime Sun 15-Oct-17 08:36:34

There aren’t any windows on the outside wall at all. I will try to attach a floor plan. The two bedrooms are on the right.

ReviewTime Sun 15-Oct-17 20:36:57

Should be fine as long as its not a supporting wall, but a stud one. Bang on it and you should be able to feel/hear if its stud. You'll have a bit of a corridor getting into bedroom 2 after you move it, but that's ok as long as you're happy with that.

hollydaytime Sun 15-Oct-17 21:11:44

Next time we view it I will have a little knock. Any ideas how much it is likely to cost?

Angryosaurus Sun 15-Oct-17 21:21:40

Few hundred

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 15-Oct-17 21:30:48

I'm not an expert but I think 'a few hundred' is likely to be way out.

- You will probably need to pay fees for building control to inspect. We have, on a not dissimilar project.
- If there is any doubt at all about whether it's a load-bearing wall you need a structural engineer to come and look at it.
- It's not too difficult to demolish a wall (as long as it isn't loadbearing) but it creates a hell of a mess. The dust will get everywhere.
- You need to budget for not just the construction of a new wall but also decoration, moving/installing electrical points, possibly moving lights and pipes, making good on all the other bits of wall/ceiling/floor that are affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now