Talk

Advanced search

Shed help - plastic, wood or metal? Size?

(7 Posts)
shockedballoon Sat 14-Oct-17 20:57:30

We have just moved to a house with a lovely long garden. We are going to extend and part of extending means that we are using the space that comprises the existing brick built shed/garage.

There is an overgrown area at the end of the garden that will be perfect for a shed. Within this area I measured a bit I'd cleared and could get to the end of the tape measure in both directions (so 10mx10m).

The shed would house the lawnmower, strimmer, hedge trimmers, and other garden stuff, possibly some garden furniture (not bought any yet!) as well as camping gear.

I don't know what type of shed would be best?
Which is the most watertight/secure?
What size would you recommend?
Anything else i should consider?

It doesn't matter too much what it looks like as it's surrounded by privet hedges and various other bushes/trees from neighbours' gardens (their gardens are long too) and we can always stick a trellis up if needs be.

This is all very new to me as we've lived in a back to back terrace with a small paved yard out front for the past 16 years - not got a clue what I'm doing!

PigletJohn Sun 15-Oct-17 00:00:13

for best results, lay a concrete base slightly smaller than the shed so rainwater won't lie on it. If it is bigger than the shed you will need to build it on impervious bearers such as paving slabs or a dwarf brick wall. Otherwise the bottom of the shed will rot. You will need gutters and downpipe.

If you can afford it, there are some sturdy "log cabins". They are actually made of sawn wood about as thick as decking, and fairly easy to assemble as the boards slot together. You probably don't need one with windows and balconies.

Ordinary wooden sheds are very flimsy and can be opened up with a garden spade; some with a teaspoon.

Metal ones are also flimsy but will keep out rain. They suffer badly from condensation damp, especially if they do not have a floor off the ground. Plastic garden boxes are available but quite expensive for what they are.

shockedballoon Sun 15-Oct-17 11:53:47

Thanks so much - hadn't thought much about the base!

So are decent wooden sheds generally better/sturdier then? Would I have to do much maintenance? Need it to be mouse etc proof.
Also, just thinking, if it was a plastic or metal shed, do they get quite hot in the summer? There will be camping gas canisters and a petrol lawnmower in there...?

Oh and I just noticed I said the area I cleared was 10 meters square - it's not, I meant to put 10 feet grin

PigletJohn Sun 15-Oct-17 12:25:09

A wooden one will need to be periodically treated with preservative or stain. Protecting the outside, especially near the ground, from damp, especially rainsplash or contact with the ground, will help. I like to treat the timbers that will be within a foot of the ground with preservative before building, as you can't get at them all round afterwards. Preservative costs more than stain.

sheds usually have a felted roof which needs replacement. Maybe ten years?

Water is the enemy of wood.

It is rare to see one as solid as the ones in that link, unless perhaps you build it yourself.

JungleExplorer Sun 15-Oct-17 13:33:21

Base wise, I would go for the interlocking grid system, no concrete to pour. Have a look here www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/6x4-pure-sheds-pro-shed-base-kit

Our base was put on concrete paving slabs but then I wasn't laying them, my builder did grin if I was doing it again I would do the base above.

We have a wooden shed and I painted/stained it with Cuprinol garden furniture stuff, it probably needs re-doing next year, which means it has been good for 8 years.

TeddyBee Sun 15-Oct-17 13:36:45

My favourite shed is my plastic one - it's a keter number, very light, easy to put up and keeps the bike nice and dry. I also have a wooden one which is a bit rotty. And the kids playhouse which is fairly solid but covered in three coats of paint so not going anywhere. The plastic one is the easiest to look after and put up, and probably looks nicer than the old wooden one, or the two year old but crap looking Wooden tool shed.

FleurWeasley Sun 15-Oct-17 17:37:05

In your case I'd have two sheds, one for gardening equipment and one for camping stuff. We have both in one 8x6 shed and it's annoying as the gardening stuff is always in the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now