Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Islands!

(29 Posts)
4yearsnosleep Fri 13-Oct-17 20:22:14

How big is your island? What's the space around it? I'm hoping for my hob to be on the island and seating. We've got to have a support pillar/post so I'm trying to work out the space required. Thank you!

Hassled Fri 13-Oct-17 20:26:18

Dammit - I thought someone was actually buying an island. The surrounded by water type. That's my dream.

Hassled Fri 13-Oct-17 20:28:20

Sorry - that really wasn't helpful.
Hobs and seating and an island together sounds a bit like an accident waiting to happen, though, doesn't it? Unless the island is huge.

Muddlingalongalone Fri 13-Oct-17 20:28:24

Me too hassled slinks away from thread

Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 13-Oct-17 20:30:07

Me as well Hassled. I’m disappointed blush

RapidStreaming Fri 13-Oct-17 20:30:24

I was already to give you good advice about the perils of island life, small communities, transport logistics etc. Oh well ... Moving on ....

Xenon2202 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:34:50

Our island has a hob on and seating. The width is 1.3m and length is 1.9m. On the two sides which have cabinets opposite there is a gap between the island and the cabinets of 1.2m.

3luckystars Fri 13-Oct-17 20:38:54

You need a metre or more all around an island. I’d love one but kitchen is too narrow.

But I do live on an island so that’s good news for me.

Titsywoo Fri 13-Oct-17 20:41:48

My island is 1.9 x 1.2m. It is all worktop space which I love. One side has a bit underneath so stools can be tucked away like this although it has cupboards at the sides rather than the shelves in that pic. The other side is two sets of 3 big pan drawers. It's very much a central point in the kitchen that people stand around to chat and eat. I personally wouldn't like my sink or hob there. Feels too messy and in the way. There is 1.2m around the sides which is a good amount of room to open cupboards etc without feeling cramped.

OlennasWimple Fri 13-Oct-17 20:43:46

I was also hoping this thread was about water-surrounded islands....

I've seen hobs on islands that have a cover on them for when they aren't being used, and they seem to work well. The seating bit is well away from the hob, though, and the island is really big (lots of storage space underneath)

PhilODox Fri 13-Oct-17 20:48:41

Blast! I thought this had been inspired by Ulva coming into the market.

GrockleBocs Fri 13-Oct-17 20:50:50

I was about to suggest finding Xenia

Bluntness100 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:00:33

I have a peninsula, I can’t remember exact size but looking at it, it’s about five foot or so long and four foot wide, so quite big, we have nothing on it. Generally it seats six spaciously but I can easily get nine plus round it. Your kitchen designer will work out the clearances. You need to be sure you can open cupboard doors and not have folks having to move their seats. It also has cupboards underneath it, which are handy,

I don’t have a dining room though, as we use the other room as a second living room and eat in the kitchen. Friends also congregate round it so it’s quite sociable.

I would say whatever you do, don’t get a sink in it, because no one wants to sit beside dirty pots and dishes.

Work out what you want to use the island for, what’s its prime purpose is before deciding.

4yearsnosleep Fri 13-Oct-17 21:02:07

gringringrinhmmI wish I could buy an actual island, a beach would be wonderful right now!

Our extension is 10m x 6m, so there 'should' be space, I just need to work out the clearance between the island, surrounding cabinets and pillar!

JoJoSM2 Fri 13-Oct-17 23:45:58

Is it just going to be a mega kitchen? Or will there be a dining area etc? I think the proportions need to be different depending on your use of spaces.

I'd opt for the width of at least 1.2m so when you're on a bar stool, you're not right next to the hob. I think islands look pleasant to the eye if the length is about double the width. But you could always have a snoop around shops and friends' houses with a measuring tape to work out what proportions appeal to you.

gingercat02 Fri 13-Oct-17 23:47:51

I thought actual Island too 😢

ftw Fri 13-Oct-17 23:49:05

Placemarking, don't mind me...

4yearsnosleep Sat 14-Oct-17 08:04:21

It's a family kitchen/dining/living room. About 6m x 4m is dedicated to the kitchen

namechangedtoday15 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:34:19

Ours is about 2.5m long and about 1.2m wide. We have a row of 60cm deep cupboards facing the wall run of units, then a row of 30cm deep units that open on the other side (just storage for stuff we don't use very often) then 30cm overhang. Have barstools that slot under the counter.

Have 1m between island and anything else. Our room is about 8m x 8m and we don't have a pillar (is there anyway you can avoid that?) so design was quite flexible. There have been quite a few debates on MN of sink v hob on an island, it all comes down to personal choice. We have sink which imo is great. Reasons for us were safety, 3 young children at island unit all the time, and extraction. Didn't want ceiling extractor blocking sight line (to be effective it would have to be very powerful (noisy) or low), couldn't afford one of the pop up extractors and actually didn't want to be "on show" cooking if we had guests. Sink is fine, everything pretty much goes in dishwasher so don't have overflowing sinkful of dirty pots!!

Tatlerer Sat 14-Oct-17 11:44:00

Having a large kitchen/diner extension built at the moment. We're having a smallish L-shaped run of wall units (housing a Butler's pantry, larder cupboards, pan drawers, fridge freezer) and going for a 3m x 3m L-shaped island. It's really going to be the workhorse of the kitchen- hob is going on one end, sink on the other, seating on one side, dishwasher, more drawers, pan drawers etc. I've always wanted an island, I can't wait smile

MILdesperandum Sat 14-Oct-17 21:23:21

Tatlerer - that sounds a very interesting layout, car to share a plan? Looking for ideas

4yearsnosleep Sat 14-Oct-17 23:05:29

Tatlerer that sounds like a very clever layout. I've sketched ours out this evening. U-shaped with an island, run of tall units on the back wall with two ovens + the fridge freezer., sink & dishwasher by the window, all bottom only units that side, then narrower base & wall units on the opposite wall. Island ended up as 2.8x1.2. I'm going to take it to a few places & see what they say

DesignbyHeliumKitchens17 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:52:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BubblesBuddy Sun 15-Oct-17 22:17:12

I have an island with a hob and seating. It's about 1.3 m wide so cupboards go back to back. I also have a veg prep sink in it and an oven below the hob. The other is in a wall of units with a microwave. Keep the hob a decent distance from the seating.

We have 1.5 m going up to 1.8 m beteeen the units and the island. Ditto the other side. The seating is around one end on a circular table. Works for us.

Why do you have a pillar?

Tatlerer Wed 18-Oct-17 20:33:24

mildesperandum sorry for the delay- here are some pics of what it will hopefully look like!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: