Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen or respray?

(5 Posts)
hotelzanzibar Fri 13-Oct-17 17:32:48

I have a beige (almost yellow) melamine shaker kitchen with dark granite - a bit 90s but the units are in good condition. I'd love a new, good quality kitchen with a matt finish, in a totally different colour scheme, but the price of starting from scratch puts me off.
Should I just get the doors resprayed or is this a false economy? I've heard from some people that the finish isn't good and I wouldn't want to be doing more on the kitchen in the next 5 years.
Any advice or tips gratefully received.

wufti Sat 14-Oct-17 09:06:35

Have you looked into getting replacement doors? There have been a few threads on here about replacement doors, easier if you want shaker or slab doors

HelsNottingham1 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:52:23

You say that the kitchen doors are melamine ( laminate) ? You cannot 're-paint/spray as it is a plastic covering. Its a bit like heavy duty 'sticky back plastic'. The only time one can re-paint kitchen doors is if they are solid wood, as they can be sanded, primed, top coat and then a lacquer.
It is a long and drawn out process to do it correctly and achieve a quality finish.
Don't waste your time. Go to an interdependent Kitchen showroom and ask for a free quote to change all the doors/ panels/ cornice/ pelmet etc. At least you will have a starting point.

DesignbyHeliumKitchens17 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:59:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissKittyCat Sun 15-Oct-17 13:35:22

You can paint melamine - you can get melamine primer for the purpose. When I moved into my house the kitchen had dark green cupboard doors. I painted them with melamine primer and then white satin. I used a gloss roller to get an even texture. It was supposed to be a short term fix until I replaced the kitchen - ten years later it still looks good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now