Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't decide on floor colour for new kitchen

(12 Posts)
Kitchenhelp Fri 13-Oct-17 17:09:14

I am getting a new kitchen in a few weeks - slightly off-white painted shaker cupboards with a slightly off-white quartz worktop (silestone ariel), with deep blue painted walls and splashback. I can't figure out which floor tiles to get. Can't use wood as we have it in the rest of the house so it wouldn't match. Looked at LVT but while I look the wood effect ones I think the tile ones look a bit...fake or something.

Anyway, going for floor tiles. I found a light grey polished tile which I loved, but then realised it would be way too slippy when wet. I was thinking a light grey porcelain/stone but can't find anything I like. I have found an off-white/greyish stone tile but I'm not sure how it will look - whether it will just look like a dirty white floor?! And I don't want it to look too cold, although the room is south-facing. Don't want to go dark grey as I think it will be too dark with the deep blue walls.

It's so hard to visualise! Just wondered if anyone had done similar or had any views on the best colour, considering the rest of the colour scheme?

OliviaBenson Fri 13-Oct-17 17:11:16

I don't think it would be an issue to go dark with a whiteish kitchen and worktops. I'd go for slate.

Kitchenhelp Fri 13-Oct-17 17:15:02

I've had a dark grey slate tile before and it was awful as showing all the dust and dirt.

It's only because of the deep blue paint (similar to Dulux oxford blue) that I'm worried it will be too dark.

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 13-Oct-17 17:16:00

Unless you like constantly cleaning don't get a dark floor. I just had my slate floor replaced. I did a little dance as they tore it up. Looks beautiful when washed and polished but grubby all other times

JoJoSM2 Fri 13-Oct-17 18:37:01

What about a floor that isn’t uniform in colour? That wouldn’t show up things.

jigster01 Sat 14-Oct-17 07:56:44

It's a difficult choice isn't it ? In the end we got these for exactly the same reasons as you ...we also got the outside ones so it flows to the garden ..they are porcelain also

EJC85 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:34:44

jigster01 That floor looks beautiful! Is it difficult to keep clean? Where did you get them from, if you don't mind me asking...

BubblesBuddy Sat 14-Oct-17 19:03:39

Porcelanosa do loads which are suitable in greys. Porcelain and also wood ceramic. They look very smart in silver.

MerryMarigold Sat 14-Oct-17 19:06:28

Yes something which looks like polished concrete would be good and I dont think too dark.

jigster01 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:33:58

Hi EJC85 ....well I looked high and low in every place and online and was struggling as I knew what I wanted -mottled/ shaded- my sister was out and saw these in tile giant which was one place I hadn't looked as there isn't one near me ..it's called synergy Perla ..they have in and out which we also got ..not hard to keep clean no

user263781638 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:48:42

We had a light grey porcelanosa tile in our fully white kitchen, I loved them they never showed up water splashes or dust and dirt, I'm getting them in my new house gorgeous hard wearing tile I would 100% recommend if I could remember the name of them 🙈
They had a sawn type of effect on them and was matte, I always wanted high gloss and I'm so glad I didn't get them, water marks would've drove me insane!

EJC85 Sun 15-Oct-17 10:00:42

jigster01 - Many thanks for that! I shall have a look in my local Tile Giant ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now