Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Replacing plastic windows with wood

(8 Posts)
ediepop Fri 13-Oct-17 13:34:52

Does anyone know roughly how much this sort of thing costs? We have a double bayed Edwardian terrace - the bays are each made up of 4 windows and then there is one over the front door. All are really naff plastic, including plastic sills, and we'd like to replace with double glazed timber sashes made in the style of the house - so 1 over 1, with little horns. But if this is going to cost £20k + there's not much point in getting anyone to quote. We are in the SW.

HooraySunshine Fri 13-Oct-17 14:16:09

Firstly, did you check to see if you need planning permission for this? We're going through a pa at the moment and I think I remember reading that you need permission to change to wood windows. (Might have mis-read that, but worth checking just in case as you would possibly need to factor in the planning application fee/waiting time into your decision.)

I think it's worth getting a few quotes. From my experience window installation costs vary widely from area to area (SE being most expensive). Won't cost anything to get the quotes and you'll be better informed to make your decision. smile

Bea1985 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:17:27

I was quoted 1.5k per window for very similar - double glazed, timber sash windows with horns inkeeping with age of house. I'm in the North East though x

ediepop Fri 13-Oct-17 15:38:15

@HooraySunshine Planning permission, really?? That hadn't occurred to me as we'd be returning the house to look more as it did when it was built - we're not actually adding anything on. I will check though.

@Bea1985 £1.5k? Ouch. Hmm, think we might have to save up for a bit longer...Did that include hardware, ie brass window locks etc.

HooraySunshine Fri 13-Oct-17 16:05:00

Don't panic! smile I might have misread, or maybe it's different depending on the area you live? There are definitely people in my area who have made planning applications to replace existing pvc windows with wood (houses that would originally have been built with wood windows).

Our pa is in part to put the front door back to the front of the house as it was originally built (in the1980's the previous owner moved it to the side of the house for some reason). Our pa has actually received objections for that! confused

Worth checking, just in case! smile

JoJoSM2 Fri 13-Oct-17 16:15:25

I don’t think you need planning permission for replacing window frames. Maybe if you were to change the shape or size of the openings but not like-for-like just a different material.

In London, the cheapest I've seen was £300/m2 of window surface. Normally closer to a grand.

Growingboys Fri 13-Oct-17 16:20:06

Yep we're in London and I reckon one and a half grand for wooden sash, double glazed, is good.

We've been quoted two grand a window.

RKingTSWW Fri 20-Oct-17 09:34:28

Regarding whether you will require planning permission, it will depend upon whether your house is listed or in a conservation area. Below is a general guide that The Sash Window Workshop have created for identifying whether you are likely to require planning permission.

If there is any doubt we would always recommend checking with your local council (as each council may apply rules slightly differently).

Listed Property and Conservation Area Guide

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now