(10 Posts)
Czogorik2 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:40:20

?
CZOGORIK2
View public profile
Find more posts
View all thanked posts
Where to buy a house Leeds or York?
Hello,we are planning to relocate to York,Leeds area and we overwhelmed by choices, don't even know where to start looking.Our budget is k210-230,we would like 3bed detached/semi-detached with reasonable size garden.We have one year old and 2,5 y old schools are very important, would like to live somewhere family friendly with nice high Street (few caffes, decent grocery shop, restaurant) and plenty of green spaces.My husband will work in York city centre but in the future there might be job opportunity in Leeds and looking for a house with good road connections to both,he doesn't mind to comute up to 45 min one way or take a train. I don't drive yet so train station nerby is a must.Would appreciate any suggestions as we are in London and its quite a journey with little ones to organise an viewing, really want to narrow down search area.From what we found out north is nicer than south but more expensive also commuting from north can be a nightmare.We really like Harrogate, heard lots of good things regarding schools,seen few properties within our budget or slightly above(hoping to reduce asking price a bit)Are there any not nice parts of Harrogate,where you wouldn't want to live with small children or avoid in general.
Thank you for any advices.

guilty100 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:56:23

York to Leeds is OK for a commute, Harrogate is quite a long way further.

To be honest, it depends who you are and what you want: they are very different. York is a cathedral city, full of lovely old shops and tourists. Leeds is a modern city. I'd go for the former, but I'm not you!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 12-Oct-17 16:30:55

I think your budget is ambitious for Harrogate to be honest, and ones within budget aren't likely to be in the nicest of areas. But still worth a look. Garforth might be worth considering - pretty convenient for Leeds and York by road or train, not as expensive as some areas, and decent schools by all accounts. York is lovely, but again budget might be difficult for the nicer areas.

Oly5 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:34:31

York is beautiful, Leeds less so. I've lived in both

ineedwine99 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:40:41

Hi OP,
Dunnington is nice, just outside York , good bus service to town
Stamford Bridge is nice, bit bigger than Dunnington, again good buses to town, plenty of new builds there.
Elvington and Wilberfoss are more nice areas

ineedwine99 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:46:02

Sorry saw the train station nearby, won't work with my suggestions then as they are villages around York, though buses do go to the train station, i don't drive either

ElfEars Thu 12-Oct-17 16:47:47

I'd go for York over Leeds. IME Leeds isn't the safest place to live.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 12-Oct-17 16:59:08

You do realise Leeds is a pretty big and varied place ElfEars? And what areas of York do you think meet what the OP is looking for?

Czogorik2 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:24:28

Thank you for all messages,we discontinued Harrogate because of the price and distant to York. We more keen on York, could someone please tell me how is Huntington , Hamilton dr east and Fulford area like.There are some listing above our £230 budget,but we might be able to strech bit more or have lower offer accepted.Also we don't mind something in need of work ( cheaper)as we will have extra income from rental in London, but really want it to be in nice location.
We were also thinking about Wetherby,any thoughts?I know there is no train station but that might be final kick to get driving license

ElfEars Thu 12-Oct-17 17:47:14

I do whatsthecomingoverthehill As I said in MY experience. I could be wrong. I live in Yorkshire and have three friends leave Leeds and move to my area. All from different areas of Leeds. Two due to being burgled multiple times and the other due to being mugged twice on their way home from work. In one day! Clifton Moore could be a good place to look at OP. No trains but plenty of buses. Or Stamford Bridge as a PP said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now