Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Underfloor heating

(12 Posts)
Stuckinstressville Wed 11-Oct-17 12:31:09

So after neff ovens and hot taps... we move onto underfloor heating! Can you tell am a novice and don't trust all tradesmen with advice?

What types are there and what do you like and why. E.g. Hot water ?

Best floor covering ? Am liking a big floor tile.

This will be for the kitchen extension... 4 m by 6.7m.

Cheers
Ps will obv add 'designed by mumsnet' in a secret place like they did with historic buildings tombs discovered in the future.

Whatthefoxgoingon Wed 11-Oct-17 14:13:06

I love my underfloor hearing. I have the wet type. The electric type is much more expensive to run.

I do have traditional radiators in other areas, but the underfloor gives the nicest, even ambient temperature.

You can have tile, engineered wood or even carpet on top of it: just need to make sure you get a floor covering that's compatible with it. I highly recommend it even though the initial outlay is more expensive than radiators.

Austentatious Wed 11-Oct-17 14:15:32

I have wet underfloor throughout the house. Every time someone does the boiler there's a slight panic in their eyes, which after decades of it being used still confuses me. And of coruse it's an utter bugger if you get a leak, I imagine. I love the heat it gives off, as do my cats.

fannythrobbing Wed 11-Oct-17 14:17:07

We got myson wet underfloor heating connected to the boiler. Ours was retrofitted throughout the entire downstairs so we were limited to what we could have (ideally something that wouldn’t raise the floor profile too much) but you won’t be limited at all if it’s for a new extension. We still have radiators (but UFH can be controlled separately)
We screeded and put porcelain tiles over it and it’s just glorious!

Bumdishcloths Wed 11-Oct-17 15:53:41

I had electric underfloor heating in a former property and hated it - we had vinyl flooring and if you put rugs down the heat just seems to go straight into the rugs and doesn't actually warm the room at all, it was bizarre!

Chewbecca Wed 11-Oct-17 15:56:36

We had/have electric.
It cost a fortune
It didn't make the room very warm
It broke
We fixed it
It broke again
To mend it, we'd need to lift the whole floor.

Never again!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:39:55

We have electric underfloor heating but only in bathrooms. It isn't expensive to run, makes a difference (you can feel it coming through tiled floor within minutes) so it works well.

I did a bit of research before installing - we did consider wet underfloor heating but some of the comments were that it can take a while to come through (for the heat to be felt) which may be amplified if it's a big room? I don't know therefore whether the automatic "electric is more expensive scenario works if you need 4 hours of wet UF heating say compared to 1hr of electric? But yes, if you needed 4hrs of each gas would be cheaper. Sorry, that's probably not much help!

AesopsMables Wed 11-Oct-17 17:48:34

We have both

Wet to downstairs kitchen extension which as said above gives off a wonderful 'comforting' feel to our huge room

Electric in bathroom as wasn't worth investing in wet when doing our bathroom

Both under porcelain tiles

Definitely put on your list! It's fabulous

BubblesBuddy Wed 11-Oct-17 23:55:49

We have exactly the same as Aesops but a bit more in our large hall and family room. That did leak and yes it's a nightmare. The wood floor rose up like a volcano. Skirting had to be removed, wet floor removed, under floor pipes and "yuk" removed - heating, flooring and skirting put back and room decorated. Insurance company paid - £3250. Not recommended though. Heating was 18 years old. We have a mix of tiles in the majority of the underfloor heated area but engineered wood back in that room.

Stuckinstressville Sun 15-Oct-17 16:13:22

Thanks all, hot water seems to be in the lead.

Now to budget for it!

Buckinghambae Sun 15-Oct-17 17:33:24

Electric underfloor heating in our old flat put £2k on the bill - it was a very large flat with I think, dodgy thermostats but wouldn't touch it.

Don't get underfloor it if you like instant heat, I'm a heat freak and scarper upstairs if I'm cold to cling onto the rads. It is nice though once it gets going. We've only had it on a few times but have a Smart Meter with wet underfloor downstairs and it's not excessive.

JoJoSM2 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:00:25

We've got electric underfloor heating and our bills are low. We use it to warm our tootsies up and make the floor nice to walk on. For actual heating, we have a radiatior. Small/big tiles is a matter of taste. We like a more traditional look so ours are 30x30cm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now