Talk

Advanced search

Eek! Mice

(14 Posts)
alazuli Wed 11-Oct-17 09:41:47

hello,

saw a mouse in my kitchen the other day shudder. have been calling around exterminators. one recommended just going straight to mice proofing and blocking up all the holes in the kitchen. said there's no point putting down poison as they'll just go off and die in the walls etc.

all the others have suggested putting down poison first and then coming back the week after and blocking off the holes.

anyone had any experience with getting rid of mice? to poison or not to poison?

specialsubject Wed 11-Oct-17 09:46:49

Put down a spring trap - screwfix do good ones that are less of a hazard to your fingers. Humane and no rotting poisoned mice where you can't find them.

Tika77 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:10:30

When the cold comes in they’re looking for shelter. Don’t panic and soend hundreds. You can get humane traps (never worked for me) or the scewfix ones mentioned above are reusable and you can actually take dead mice out without touching it. Reminds me, I should check mine... one day i was going to pick up a ‘piece of string’ in my utility room ... turned out to be a mouse’s tale... i totally forgot about the trap :-)

pinkingshears Wed 11-Oct-17 10:22:35

Dd saw something zoom thru hallway last night.
She said it was 'the size of the guinea pigs'.
It went into my bedroom.
Eeek!

alazuli Wed 11-Oct-17 10:23:32

Tika that's horrifying! tbh i'd rather just spend the money on mice proofing to make sure they don't get back in! Just not sure if it's worth going on the offensive with poison...

trixymalixy Wed 11-Oct-17 10:40:30

Poison. It's the only thing that works and we've tried every trap going.

Never had a bad smell from one dying in the walls.

Tika77 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:26:22

Whatever works... I had a friend who had a dead mouse stinking her living room under the floor for weeks. I’d also worry about someone’s cat or a bord of prey dying from eating poisoned mice.

Tika77 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:27:21

pinkingshears oh, a rat would freak me out. Get a rat trap, just in case.

Fourmagpies Fri 13-Oct-17 19:43:00

A humane trap and peanut butter. And then release at least 2 miles away. Worked for us twice. Didn't take more than a couple of nights to catch the mice though we knew where they were coming in so placed the trap near the hole.

fuzzyduck1 Fri 13-Oct-17 19:47:39

Get a shot gun and lay in wait for the little blighter then blow him to bits

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-Oct-17 19:49:53

We've got them for the first time in 14 years! And there was a thread the other day about them. Maybe there's a mouse eperdemic?

alazuli Fri 13-Oct-17 21:47:15

ThroughThickAndThin01 - I think it's because the weather is turning so they're looking for warmth and shelter.

I decided to go for no poison and got someone in to block all the entry points. Fingers crossed!

Laineymc7 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:06:03

We have an old Victorian house and had a mouse problem. Personally I don't think the traps work. It may catch and kill them but it will never stop the problem of why they are there and how they are getting it. I used a company called stop mice who painstakingly block up every tiny while in the whole house. This stops them getting it. It's guaranteed for a year. We have had none since. Not sure where you live but this service isn't cheap. There should be something similar in your area. Good luck

alazuli Fri 13-Oct-17 22:13:01

Lainey that was my thinking too. You might kill a few but there's probably others running around the building. Better to make sure they can't get in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now