Talk

Advanced search

Help me find Pendants for Island

(53 Posts)
FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 08:41:07

Hi,
I'm cracking up here. I need to choose pendants for over our kitchen island before the end of the week and I'm SO FED UP of trawling through lighting websites. Doesn't help that the kitchen is not even in yet so it's hard to picture what will look well.

Here is the kitchen - the island will be the dark grey, 1.5m wide. We're thinking 2 or 3 lights. The kitchen style is matt and handless so fairly modern. Can anyone please help? Thanks!!

randomthoughts Tue 10-Oct-17 08:51:19

We've ordered these ones www.lighting-direct.co.uk/edit-wawa-ceiling-pendant-light.html
They seem fairly decent, are a darker grey than the picture and for the price we can change if we don't like them!!!

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 10-Oct-17 08:54:20

Do you want colour or grey?
Copper would look nice.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 09:05:38

Thanks random

I have no idea what I want!

I was originally going to go with a light grey, but that won't really go with the warmer tones of the kitchen units. Then I was thinking about a tinted glass ... then I was thinking about black. I'm just so bamboozled at this stage. Also doesn't help that the ceiling height is 5m so whatever we buy, we'll have to be able to change the length of the flex.

Deux Tue 10-Oct-17 09:13:41

Some of my favourite lights are by Danish company Lightyears. I have their Concert pendants. Lots of lovely lights. I'd go for a dark grey, white or copper. They do their Caravaggio in a few neutral colour ways.

en.lightyears.dk/lamps/pendants/

Funktion Alley (swoon) have a wide range of Scandi lighting.
funktionalley.com/lighting/pendants.html

CornedBeef451 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:14:33

I misread it as pedants for an island. I was imagining something like Bear Grylls for people who really like grammar!

jigster01 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:34:00

I agree its very difficult..too much choice ! We got ours from Wayfair, huge selection ,we wanted chrome to match the handles etc and also downlighting as opposed to lights that flood the room.
Do you really need to choose them now? My builder made 3 holes after carefully placing them over a non existent island and completely empty extension. I hadn't even chosen any but knew I wanted 3 pendants. He fitted them maybe 8 weeks or more later. One light needed to come towards the centre a bit and they still need levelling (on a sloped ceiling) as he wants the flex to untangle. Our ceiling is 2.1m from island but plenty of flex .

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 09:34:29

Thanks Deux

Hahahhahahah cornedbeef, I think I'll head to that Island to be honest, sounds like a nice break.

jigster01 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:35:08

Meant to say my island is charcoal but really a very dark navy blue

GrockleBocs Tue 10-Oct-17 09:41:02

We've got Wofi pendants. They do some that have an adjustable feature and the longer setting is pretty long. German company. Good quality etc. You can get them from Amazon or good lighting shops.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 09:43:48

They look really well Jigster, thanks for sharing.

The ceiling is so high that it can only be reached with scaffolding! And that is going back up next Tuesday so the electrician can fit the downlighters. So we really do need to have the pendants picked so the positioning can be decided and the ceiling roses put in as there will be nobody able to get back up there once they've been fit.

We did think about just putting in empty flexes and and just getting a shade once everything is finished, but that just seems too messy ....

7to25 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:49:32

What size is your island?
Three would look better unless the island is small.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 09:51:35

It's 1.5m wide and 90cm deep.

jigster01 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:54:03

Ours is exactly same size ...3 is perfect

JoJoSM2 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:59:08

I think I imagine some black ones with an industrial edge too them to complement the colours in your kitchen.

Twistmeandturnme Tue 10-Oct-17 09:59:42

black and gold
The warm inner softens the starkness of the black, but they are simple and very inexpensive.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 10:03:38

Twist, I like that idea. Though at 450mm wide, I think three of these might be too much for a 1500 island? What do you think?

SparkwoodAnd21 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:04:06

Me too corned!

Firstaidnovice Tue 10-Oct-17 10:05:33

I remember being in a similar situation! It felt like death by a thousand decisions, and you keep second guessing yourself.
We got these, and I love them. Neutral but not boring. The flex doesn't hang straight like in the picture though, it's a tiny bit twisty, but I like that too. I found the ocean lighting site great in general. Definitely go for three though, looks much better.
www.oceanlighting.co.uk/pendant-lights-c22/endon-61507-agassi-1-light-ceiling-pendant-white-p27994/s31014

Twistmeandturnme Tue 10-Oct-17 10:08:11

I agree that 3 would be too much as at that size they will be quite a statement over an island. I think that the wider lights will balance the very long cables though. Consider 2?
island lighting guidance

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 10:11:48

Great ideas so far all. thanks.

B&Q have a decent selection alright ... would any of these work?

www.diy.com/departments/honor-champagne-pendant-ceiling-light/1503570_BQ.prd

www.diy.com/departments/dafyd-smoked-glass-pendant-ceiling-light/1503189_BQ.prd

www.diy.com/departments/honor-smoked-pendant-ceiling-light/1503359_BQ.prd

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 10:12:43

It felt like death by a thousand decisions

OMG Yes.

Deux Tue 10-Oct-17 10:29:26

I'd go for only 2 or even one wide diameter light. If you go for 3 then I think they need a small diameter. If the lights are too close to the edge of the island the light cast will splay over the floor.

There are lots of guidelines on line and maybe start from there and work backwards to help you sift through the options.

There's a poster called OnePlanOnHouzz and she's really good on this kind of thing.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 10-Oct-17 10:36:16

These are mine - from Neptune

www.neptune.com/lighting/pendants/imperial/imperial-nickel-pendant/?nst=0&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEi

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 10-Oct-17 10:46:18

Wow Allthebest, your extension is almost identical in layout to ours!

Looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now