Talk

Advanced search

Garden help

(7 Posts)
peachy94 Tue 10-Oct-17 00:37:18

Our garden is a big boggy mess, we've got clay soil so the grass area can't be used at all because it's so soggy and the patio stays flooded for days after it rains. I hate that it's going to waste because DC can't use 90% of it and it's a massive factor in us wanting to move even though we've only been here 18 months sad has anyone had any success in sorting a clay garden out? Installing drains and returfing or paving the lot, I've tried googling but all I can't find is gardening threads about plants and the vauge idea it's going to cost a fortune

MaitlandGirl Tue 10-Oct-17 00:41:49

Some ideas here which might help.

www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/clay-soil-and-boggy-lawn/74423.html

We've got similar issues as the bottom half of our garden is the transpiration area for our septic system so we're planting a conifer hedge down one side to try and help.

GardenGeek Tue 10-Oct-17 00:47:16

Of course you can dig, drain, refill and or pave; but that would be a lot of work and very expensive.

So I would be inclined to work with what you have.

Clays about to make a huge comeback as there is now a ban on peat compost/ soils. People are finding it harder to grow traditional garden plants on the peat-free and I think clay will make a resurgence due to its moisture retentiveness and availability of nutrients.

It sounds like you have boggy clay which is a whole different ball game; but equally very exciting. Have you considered bog plants at all?

How much exactly of the garden is wet and is it all year round or just in these wetter months?

peachy94 Tue 10-Oct-17 01:59:25

It's always wet, even in the summer you can't walk on the grass without sinking into it. The paved area floods when it rains it sits 2 or so inches on top of the paving and takes days to go. I've had a look at plants but I'm not sure it would make enough of difference, I'm not a gardener and I don't want a garden full of plants I just want abit of grass for DCs to be able to play football, have a climbing frame etc although DS thinks having a massive puddle in the garden constantly is brilliant hmm

guilty100 Tue 10-Oct-17 06:49:17

Look at getting a soakaway dug and at drainage for your paved area - it sounds to me like the level isn't right on it if water is standing on it. There should be a scarcely perceptible slope on it so that it falls off.

AJPTaylor Tue 10-Oct-17 06:56:56

you will need to spend some money but it will be cheaper than moving.
why not contact a couple of landscape gardeners for their advice and a quote? at least then you know what you are dealing with.

Out2pasture Tue 10-Oct-17 07:01:04

Proper leveling so there is a bit of a grade towards the road, making a draining channel, installing a catch basin and pump lots of options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now